Groupon acquires MashLogic's Britely tool
Acquisition of tool that captures, collates online information comes as Groupon looks to invigorate business with new technology
IDG News Service - Groupon has acquired MashLogic, a company based in California that makes a simple tool called Britely to capture and collate bits of information from web pages.
The announcement, posted on Britely's blog, did not disclose terms of the deal. Britely will be shut down on Monday, and all user records and data will be deleted.
"We are thrilled to join the Groupon team to help build the operating system for local commerce," MashLogic said. Groupon did not immediately comment.
Users who installed Britely as a button on their browser toolbar could highlight a bit of information from a web page and hit the button, which then posted the scrap on a colorful tile, called a "brite."
A brite includes the URL of the clipped website the bit of information came from. MashLogic describes a brite as an easier way to share information rather than copying links to websites and sending those links to people over email.
Groupon offers online coupons for businesses. The offers are often contingent on how many people sign up for a deal, and it collects a fee from sales of the deals it advertises. Since its initial public offering in November 2011, Groupon saw rapid growth but has struggled somewhat in keeping consumers interested and merchants happy.
In a November 2012 filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Groupon said it planned to expand its daily business deals and build a more extensive local commerce platform for consumers and merchants. That strategy, it said, would entail acquiring businesses and technology.
Groupon also said it faced serious challenges, citing an "inability" to adapt to varied commercial and regulatory landscapes in international markets and the high cost of compliance.
"We experienced rapid growth over a short period in a new market that we created and we do not know whether this market will continue to develop or whether it can be maintained," Groupon said in the 10-Q filing.
Groupon counted 39.5 million active users for its third quarter of 2012, up from 28.9 million active users in the same period a year prior.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts