VMware buying Virsto to bolster storage virtualization
EMC will also license Virsto's technology
IDG News Service - VMware plans to acquire Virsto Software, maker of a "storage hypervisor" that will be added to VMware's popular virtualization lineup and licensed by EMC.
Virsto's software is designed to let enterprises virtualize their storage systems in the same way many have virtualized their servers using VMware. It works with the VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V computing hypervisors, and Virsto claims it can cut the cost of storage per desktop by 70 percent.
The companies have signed a definitive agreement for the buyout, the terms of which were not disclosed on Monday. The deal is expected to close this quarter. VMware wants to buy Virsto as part of an overall plan to extend virtualization to all elements of data centers, including computing, networking, storage and security.
Virtualization began with pooling of server and desktop computing and is now expanding to include virtual networking and storage. Proponents, including Virsto and VMware, say storage virtualization will bring the same benefits of flexibility and efficiency that many enterprises have gained by virtualizing their computing. On its website, Virsto says server virtualization has been accompanied by greater complexity and higher cost for storage, especially for virtual desktops, mission-critical applications and large-scale software development.
VMware already sells a vSphere Storage Appliance and offers storage virtualization and management in the vSphere software platform. At EMC, Virsto's technology might find its way into many types of storage systems.
- Data Center Projects: Project Management The project management model described in this paper is a framework to show essential characteristics that must be considered in any implementation of...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!