VMware buying Virsto to bolster storage virtualization
EMC will also license Virsto's technology
IDG News Service - VMware plans to acquire Virsto Software, maker of a "storage hypervisor" that will be added to VMware's popular virtualization lineup and licensed by EMC.
Virsto's software is designed to let enterprises virtualize their storage systems in the same way many have virtualized their servers using VMware. It works with the VMware ESX and Microsoft Hyper-V computing hypervisors, and Virsto claims it can cut the cost of storage per desktop by 70 percent.
The companies have signed a definitive agreement for the buyout, the terms of which were not disclosed on Monday. The deal is expected to close this quarter. VMware wants to buy Virsto as part of an overall plan to extend virtualization to all elements of data centers, including computing, networking, storage and security.
Virtualization began with pooling of server and desktop computing and is now expanding to include virtual networking and storage. Proponents, including Virsto and VMware, say storage virtualization will bring the same benefits of flexibility and efficiency that many enterprises have gained by virtualizing their computing. On its website, Virsto says server virtualization has been accompanied by greater complexity and higher cost for storage, especially for virtual desktops, mission-critical applications and large-scale software development.
VMware already sells a vSphere Storage Appliance and offers storage virtualization and management in the vSphere software platform. At EMC, Virsto's technology might find its way into many types of storage systems.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts