Astronauts, Obama to host Google+ hangouts
Obama to take questions two days after State of the Union address
Computerworld - Google's social network, Google+, is getting attention from the likes of astronauts and the U.S. president.
NASA announced that, for the first time, the space agency will host a Google+ hangout at 11 a.m. ET on Feb. 22 with astronauts aboard the International Space Station flying 240 miles above Earth.
According to NASA, people on the hangout can ask the astronauts questions, while others can submit questions via video. The video questions, which need to be 30 seconds or less, can be submitted to YouTube with the hashtag #askAstro. They must be submitted by Feb. 12 and must use the hashtag to be considered.
To ask real-time questions during the hangout, user can submit the questions on Google+ or on Twitter using the same hashtag: #askAstro. Comments or questions can also be posted on NASA's Facebook page on the morning of the event.
However, the astronauts aren't the only ones in the hangout spotlight.
Just two days after his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama will host a hangout on Thursday at 4:50 p.m. ET when he will take real-time questions in what the administration is calling a "Fireside Hangout." The hangout is a 21st century version of the famous Fireside Chats that President Franklin D. Roosevelt delivered over the radio in the 1930s and '40s.
Users can submit questions or vote on their favorite questions that others have posed on the president's YouTube channel.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- Petitions plead for Google Reader's life, collect 100K signatures
- In Google+ hangout, astronauts talk tech, Isaac Newton and Twitter
- Obama talks about math, online privacy and an open Internet in Google+ hangout
- Google+ suffers outage Friday morning
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts