Astronauts, Obama to host Google+ hangouts
Obama to take questions two days after State of the Union address
Computerworld - Google's social network, Google+, is getting attention from the likes of astronauts and the U.S. president.
NASA announced that, for the first time, the space agency will host a Google+ hangout at 11 a.m. ET on Feb. 22 with astronauts aboard the International Space Station flying 240 miles above Earth.
According to NASA, people on the hangout can ask the astronauts questions, while others can submit questions via video. The video questions, which need to be 30 seconds or less, can be submitted to YouTube with the hashtag #askAstro. They must be submitted by Feb. 12 and must use the hashtag to be considered.
To ask real-time questions during the hangout, user can submit the questions on Google+ or on Twitter using the same hashtag: #askAstro. Comments or questions can also be posted on NASA's Facebook page on the morning of the event.
However, the astronauts aren't the only ones in the hangout spotlight.
Just two days after his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama will host a hangout on Thursday at 4:50 p.m. ET when he will take real-time questions in what the administration is calling a "Fireside Hangout." The hangout is a 21st century version of the famous Fireside Chats that President Franklin D. Roosevelt delivered over the radio in the 1930s and '40s.
Users can submit questions or vote on their favorite questions that others have posed on the president's YouTube channel.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- Petitions plead for Google Reader's life, collect 100K signatures
- In Google+ hangout, astronauts talk tech, Isaac Newton and Twitter
- Obama talks about math, online privacy and an open Internet in Google+ hangout
- Google+ suffers outage Friday morning
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts