Java retakes the lead in language popularity
Recent security problems aside, Java moves past C in Tiobe's language popularity index thanks to its ties to Android development
Infoworld - Despite recent headlines about its security woes, Java has returned to the top spot in a monthly assessment of the popularity of programming languages, 10 months after being supplanted by the C language.
The Tiobe Programming Community Index again has Java as the most popular language. The company says Java's ties to Android mobile development are the reason for its recent good fortune. "Boosted by the success of Android phones, Java has gained most market share of all languages last half a year," Tiobe said.
[ Tiobe differs in its assessment methodology from a rival assessment, the PyPL Popularity of Language index. | Subscribe to InfoWorld's Enterprise Java newsletter for more news from the Java realm. ]
Java had a popularity rating of 18.387 percent for the month, followed by C at 17.080. Rounding out the top 10 were: Objective-C (9.803 percent), C++ (8.758 percent), C# (6.680 percent), PHP (5.074 percent), Python (4.949 percent), Visual Basic (4.648 percent), Perl (2.252 percent), and Ruby (1.752 percent). Python is rising and is rivaling PHP to become the most-popular interpreted language, Tiobe said. Tiobe assesses popularity by examining language-related search activities in search engines like Google as well as on sites like Wikipedia. Ratings are based on the number of skilled engineers worldwide, course,s and third-party vendors.
When it comes to Tiobe's survey, at least, it appears Java's recent security woes, which mostly affect browser plug-in capabilities, have not had much of an effect on the language's popularity. Oracle just last week released a patch intended to halt an active exploitation affecting the Java Runtime Environment.
This article, "Java retakes the lead in language popularity," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts