Google warns reporters covering Myanmar of 'state-sponsored' attack on Gmail accounts
Identity of Myanmar attackers remains unclear
IDG News Service - A number of journalists covering Myanmar were warned by Google that their Gmail accounts had been targeted by "state-sponsored" attackers.
Myat Thura, a reporter in Myanmar, for example, said he had been warned by Google of the attackers trying to get to his account, but added that his mail had not been hacked.
"I can confirm that we send out these types of notices, but don't have any more info for you at this time," said Google spokesman Taj Meadows on Monday. He referred to a blog post from last June which said that Google was extending its warning of malicious activity to users to include information on state-sponsored attacks as well.
"If you see this warning it does not necessarily mean that your account has been hijacked," according to the blog post in June. "It just means that we believe you may be a target, of phishing or malware for example, and that you should take immediate steps to secure your account."
Eleven Media Group in Myanmar said that a number of journalists in Myanmar, including some of its staff, have received warnings from Google that their email accounts may have been targets of "state-sponsored attacks."
It is not clear who the state-sponsored attacker could be. The journalists received the message "We believe state-sponsored attackers may be attempting to compromise your account or computer", after they logged into their Gmail accounts, the news site said.
A number of countries including the U.S., India, and China are vying for a larger role in Myanmar, where the army is also seen to be resisting the country's move to democratize.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts