Google warns reporters covering Myanmar of 'state-sponsored' attack on Gmail accounts
Identity of Myanmar attackers remains unclear
IDG News Service - A number of journalists covering Myanmar were warned by Google that their Gmail accounts had been targeted by "state-sponsored" attackers.
Myat Thura, a reporter in Myanmar, for example, said he had been warned by Google of the attackers trying to get to his account, but added that his mail had not been hacked.
"I can confirm that we send out these types of notices, but don't have any more info for you at this time," said Google spokesman Taj Meadows on Monday. He referred to a blog post from last June which said that Google was extending its warning of malicious activity to users to include information on state-sponsored attacks as well.
"If you see this warning it does not necessarily mean that your account has been hijacked," according to the blog post in June. "It just means that we believe you may be a target, of phishing or malware for example, and that you should take immediate steps to secure your account."
Eleven Media Group in Myanmar said that a number of journalists in Myanmar, including some of its staff, have received warnings from Google that their email accounts may have been targets of "state-sponsored attacks."
It is not clear who the state-sponsored attacker could be. The journalists received the message "We believe state-sponsored attackers may be attempting to compromise your account or computer", after they logged into their Gmail accounts, the news site said.
A number of countries including the U.S., India, and China are vying for a larger role in Myanmar, where the army is also seen to be resisting the country's move to democratize.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!