Google warns reporters covering Myanmar of 'state-sponsored' attack on Gmail accounts
Identity of Myanmar attackers remains unclear
IDG News Service - A number of journalists covering Myanmar were warned by Google that their Gmail accounts had been targeted by "state-sponsored" attackers.
Myat Thura, a reporter in Myanmar, for example, said he had been warned by Google of the attackers trying to get to his account, but added that his mail had not been hacked.
"I can confirm that we send out these types of notices, but don't have any more info for you at this time," said Google spokesman Taj Meadows on Monday. He referred to a blog post from last June which said that Google was extending its warning of malicious activity to users to include information on state-sponsored attacks as well.
"If you see this warning it does not necessarily mean that your account has been hijacked," according to the blog post in June. "It just means that we believe you may be a target, of phishing or malware for example, and that you should take immediate steps to secure your account."
Eleven Media Group in Myanmar said that a number of journalists in Myanmar, including some of its staff, have received warnings from Google that their email accounts may have been targets of "state-sponsored attacks."
It is not clear who the state-sponsored attacker could be. The journalists received the message "We believe state-sponsored attackers may be attempting to compromise your account or computer", after they logged into their Gmail accounts, the news site said.
A number of countries including the U.S., India, and China are vying for a larger role in Myanmar, where the army is also seen to be resisting the country's move to democratize.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!