iOS 6.1 upgraders reporting big drop in battery life
User fixes include reinstalling email and the entire phone OS, but Apple has yet to respond
IDG News Service - Multiple users on Apple's iPhone support forum are reporting big drops in battery life after upgrading their handsets to version 6.1 of the iOS operating system.
The messages, spread over several threads on the message board, all claim battery life of just a few hours after the new operating system is installed. Apple began offering iOS 6.1 to users on Jan. 29.
"I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 6.1 from 5 (don't recall the full number) and after that the battery drained in 4 hours after a full night on the charger," a typical post said. Another said, "With 6.1, I can actually see battery going down [about] 3% every minute, this is insane."
The root of the problem is far from clear, but Mac blogs are centering on a theory that the OS ends up in an infinite loop with Exchange mail servers, causing the battery to drain fast.
Indeed, several users reported success with deleting or reinstalling accounts.
"The 'mail trick' works! I have exchange and iCloud accounts, deleted them both, rebooted after 5 minutes, added both accounts back (with push on both). 100% --> 94% within 4 hours," one said.
But others said a complete reinstall of the phone's iOS 6.1 resulted in improved battery life.
One user on Twitter posted an image of a message on his iPhone screen, apparently received from Vodafone UK, warning against the upgrade.
"If you've not already downloaded iOS 6.1 for your iPhone 4s, please hold off for the next version while Apple fixed 3G performance issues. Thanks."
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts