California ends contract with SAP over troubled IT project
"There are one of two possibilities here, the data getting into the system is wrong, or the system itself is taking correct data and mangling it," said Michael Krigsman, CEO of consulting firm Asuret. "Despite SAP's history with project failures, SAP has many other government customers using payroll successfully. In this case, it's just not likely that SAP would not be able to handle a fairly simple payroll for 1,300 people."
In addition, "you have to assume that after going back and forth [with the state], SAP must have put good people on it to troubleshoot [the project]," added Krigsman.
California also has a history of large IT project failures, which "further casts questions onto the role of the state controller's office in this," Krigsman added. "I wonder what sort of skeletons lie in the [controller's] data closet that could have contributed to this problem."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts