California ends contract with SAP over troubled IT project
"There are one of two possibilities here, the data getting into the system is wrong, or the system itself is taking correct data and mangling it," said Michael Krigsman, CEO of consulting firm Asuret. "Despite SAP's history with project failures, SAP has many other government customers using payroll successfully. In this case, it's just not likely that SAP would not be able to handle a fairly simple payroll for 1,300 people."
In addition, "you have to assume that after going back and forth [with the state], SAP must have put good people on it to troubleshoot [the project]," added Krigsman.
California also has a history of large IT project failures, which "further casts questions onto the role of the state controller's office in this," Krigsman added. "I wonder what sort of skeletons lie in the [controller's] data closet that could have contributed to this problem."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts