Oracle to release yet more patches for Java
Decision to speed up release of February patch batch left a few Oracle fixes behind
IDG News Service - Oracle isn't done releasing patches for Java SE this month, as another batch will arrive Feb. 19, according to a company blog post.
On Feb. 1, Oracle pulled the trigger early on the February release, which had originally been scheduled for Feb. 19, due to a serious vulnerability that affected Java at the browser level.
As a result of the sped-up release, Oracle didn't manage to include a "small number" of fixes that had been planned for inclusion, according to the blog.
Critical patch releases for Java SE are cumulative in nature, meaning that any user who didn't apply the group released on Feb. 1 will get everything at once in the Feb. 19 batch, according to the post.
The patch set released Feb. 1 contained 50 fixes, including 44 for vulnerabilities at the browser level. It wasn't clear Friday how many more will be added to the set later this month.
Oracle has come under fire lately over Java, not only regarding vulnerabilities but also the fact that Java updates include third-party software, or as some critics call it, "crapware," such as the Ask.com toolbar.
An online petition asking Oracle to stop the practice had garnered more than 10,000 signatures as of Friday.
Users can opt out of installing the software, however.
Oracle's head of Java security also recently made a public pledge that Oracle will "fix" Java as well as be more open and regular with its communications around the language.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!