Oracle to release yet more patches for Java
Decision to speed up release of February patch batch left a few Oracle fixes behind
IDG News Service - Oracle isn't done releasing patches for Java SE this month, as another batch will arrive Feb. 19, according to a company blog post.
On Feb. 1, Oracle pulled the trigger early on the February release, which had originally been scheduled for Feb. 19, due to a serious vulnerability that affected Java at the browser level.
As a result of the sped-up release, Oracle didn't manage to include a "small number" of fixes that had been planned for inclusion, according to the blog.
Critical patch releases for Java SE are cumulative in nature, meaning that any user who didn't apply the group released on Feb. 1 will get everything at once in the Feb. 19 batch, according to the post.
The patch set released Feb. 1 contained 50 fixes, including 44 for vulnerabilities at the browser level. It wasn't clear Friday how many more will be added to the set later this month.
Oracle has come under fire lately over Java, not only regarding vulnerabilities but also the fact that Java updates include third-party software, or as some critics call it, "crapware," such as the Ask.com toolbar.
An online petition asking Oracle to stop the practice had garnered more than 10,000 signatures as of Friday.
Users can opt out of installing the software, however.
Oracle's head of Java security also recently made a public pledge that Oracle will "fix" Java as well as be more open and regular with its communications around the language.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!