Facebook redirection glitch hurts websites
Users visiting many websites were redirected to an error message on Facebook
IDG News Service - A bug redirected people from third-party websites integrated with Facebook to Facebook.com. for a short period of time, the social networking website said Thursday.
The temporary glitch, which affected users on Thursday afternoon, appeared to affect those who were logged into Facebook when they visited the third-party sites in question. Users reported being redirected to Facebook's site and an error message that said, "An error occurred. Please try again later."
Thousands of sites that use some form of Facebook integration were being redirected to an error page on Facebook, driving all traffic away from their original site destination, wrote blogger Abe Olandres in the Philippines. He said his blog had also been affected.
The short-duration glitch, however, raised questions about the consequences of tighter integration by websites with Facebook and other services.
"I suspect many don't quite grasp the implications of running 3rd party code (i.e Facebook Connect, Google Analytics, etc) on their website," said independent researcher Ashkan Soltani in a Twitter message.
Facebook Connect is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) from Facebook that allow members to log onto third-party websites and apps using Facebook accounts, and share information with their friends on the social network.
The incident is a reminder that as a lot of website owners and web masters are slowly integrating some of their critical services with Facebook, the social network could become a single source of problems when similar incidents happen in the future, Olandres wrote.
"So, given that Facebook effectively has the power to redirect anyone using their plugins isn't it time we have a serious talk about Facebook," said user Woodo on Twitter. "So are all these sites going to sue Facebook for their lost ad revenue tonight?" asked another user.
"The issue was quickly resolved," the company said in an emailed statement. It did not however provide information on what caused the bug. "We currently have nothing else to share," a Facebook spokeswoman said.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts