Twitter search to show tweets more than a week old
The feature will be rolled out over the next few days
IDG News Service - Twitter is modifying its search engine to include tweets more than a week old, a move it said will help users uncover better content.
Over the next few days, searches will return "a fairly small percentage of total tweets ever sent" but that will increase over time, wrote Paul Burstein, an engineer who works on Twitter's search infrastructure, on a company blog.
"We look at a variety of types of engagement, like favorites, retweets and clicks, to determine which tweets to show," Burstein wrote. "We'll be steadily increasing this percentage over time, and ultimately, aim to surface the best content for your query."
The change comes a day after Twitter updated the search function in its iOS and Android mobile applications to return a blend of tweets, photos and people in a single stream of results, rather than having separate tabs for tweets and people.
Twitter also made other changes to streamline the mobile apps. Content from the "Discover" tab, which has items such as tweets, activity notices, trending topics and suggestions of new people to follow, are now also in a single stream.
How users interact with links to websites has also been changed, allowing people to go directly to a linked website without having to open the tweet, saving a bit of time.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Twitter's slipping user growth spooks investors
- Get ready to tweet your questions for Twitter's first earnings call
- Super Bowl sets Twitter record, as Volkswagen launches social war room
- Perspective: Twitter's success opens up IPO pipeline
- Update: Twitter goes public at $45 a share
- With IPO cash influx, Twitter could be bigger threat to Facebook
- Ahead of IPO, Twitter shines up multimedia image
- Twitter kicks off pre-IPO investor roadshow
- As its IPO looms, Twitter faces investor grilling
- Twitter experiments with 'Event Parrot' -- a news delivery service
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts