Twitter search to show tweets more than a week old
The feature will be rolled out over the next few days
IDG News Service - Twitter is modifying its search engine to include tweets more than a week old, a move it said will help users uncover better content.
Over the next few days, searches will return "a fairly small percentage of total tweets ever sent" but that will increase over time, wrote Paul Burstein, an engineer who works on Twitter's search infrastructure, on a company blog.
"We look at a variety of types of engagement, like favorites, retweets and clicks, to determine which tweets to show," Burstein wrote. "We'll be steadily increasing this percentage over time, and ultimately, aim to surface the best content for your query."
The change comes a day after Twitter updated the search function in its iOS and Android mobile applications to return a blend of tweets, photos and people in a single stream of results, rather than having separate tabs for tweets and people.
Twitter also made other changes to streamline the mobile apps. Content from the "Discover" tab, which has items such as tweets, activity notices, trending topics and suggestions of new people to follow, are now also in a single stream.
How users interact with links to websites has also been changed, allowing people to go directly to a linked website without having to open the tweet, saving a bit of time.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Tweets about Ferguson, Mo., shooting show Twitter's quick grip on the news
- 5 Twitter clients for Linux
- Twitter brings the data back in-house with Gnip buy
- Twitter crashed -- again -- on Tuesday
- Twitter's slipping user growth spooks investors
- Get ready to tweet your questions for Twitter's first earnings call
- Super Bowl sets Twitter record, as Volkswagen launches social war room
- Perspective: Twitter's success opens up IPO pipeline
- Update: Twitter goes public at $45 a share
- With IPO cash influx, Twitter could be bigger threat to Facebook
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts