BlackBerry 10 launch broke records, says company
But the company declined to specify actual sales figures
IDG News Service - BlackBerry says launch sales of its new BlackBerry 10 handsets in Canada and the U.K. have beaten previous company records, but it isn't releasing actual sales figures.
"In Canada, yesterday was the best day ever for the first day of a launch of a new BlackBerry smartphone. In fact, it was more than 50 percent better than any other launch day in our history in Canada," the company said Wednesday in a brief statement attributed to CEO Thorsten Heins. "In the UK, we have seen close to three times our best performance ever for the first week of sales for a BlackBerry smartphone."
In not announcing precise sales figures, the company is taking a cue from competitors in the mobile electronics space.
Amazon has long resisted specifying Kindle sales on a unit basis, instead choosing murkier measurements like a percentage of the tablet market or "more than double" the previous year.
And when Microsoft recently launched its Windows Phone 8-series smartphones, the company proclaimed strong shipments of "over four times higher than they were last year," but didn't back up the claim with numbers.
BlackBerry's Z10 smartphone went on sale in the U.K. on Jan. 31, a day after the company unveiled the device. Sales in Canada began on Feb. 5 and the phone is now beginning a rollout to other countries as it passes network carrier testing.
A second phone, the Q10, features a keyboard and is due on sale in April.
The company is due to announce quarterly earnings on March 28 during which it is expected to specify launch sales and quantify the consumer reaction to the BlackBerry 10 launch.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts