Twitter confirms acquisition of TV analytics firm Bluefin Labs
Twitter will not sell Bluefin's products beyond current contracts with customers
IDG News Service - Twitter has confirmed that it acquired Bluefin Labs, a vendor of data that uses commentary on social networks to measure the effectiveness of commercials and programs on TV.
"We believe that Bluefin's data science capabilities and social TV expertise will help us create innovative new ad products and consumer experiences in the exciting intersection of Twitter and TV," Twitter's Chief Operating Officer Ali Rowghani wrote in a blog post on Tuesday.
Bluefin, described as a social TV analytics company, provides data to brand advertisers, agencies, and TV networks.
Seeing an opportunity in social TV, Twitter tied with Nielsen in December in an exclusive, multi-year agreement to create the "Nielsen Twitter TV Rating," an industry-standard metric that is based on Twitter data. Nielsen and NM Incite, a joint venture between Nielsen and McKinsey & Co., bought a social TV measurement firm called SocialGuide in November, which provided the audience engagement analytics platform for the new metric.
"We plan to collaborate closely with Nielsen and SocialGuide on product development and research to help brands, agencies, and networks fully understand the combined value of Twitter and TV," Rowghani said. Twitter intends to honor existing Bluefin customer contracts, but will not continue to sell Bluefin's product suite beyond the existing contracts.
While Bluefin products have included data from multiple social media services, Twitter is the platform where about 95 percent of public real-time engagement with TV happens, Bluefin executives Michael Fleischman,A Deb Roy andA J.P. Maheu wrote in a blog post. "So we couldn't be more excited to join Twitter."
Twitter did not disclose the financial details of the deal. The Bluefin core team at current headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts will remain there.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!