Twitter confirms acquisition of TV analytics firm Bluefin Labs
Twitter will not sell Bluefin's products beyond current contracts with customers
IDG News Service - Twitter has confirmed that it acquired Bluefin Labs, a vendor of data that uses commentary on social networks to measure the effectiveness of commercials and programs on TV.
"We believe that Bluefin's data science capabilities and social TV expertise will help us create innovative new ad products and consumer experiences in the exciting intersection of Twitter and TV," Twitter's Chief Operating Officer Ali Rowghani wrote in a blog post on Tuesday.
Bluefin, described as a social TV analytics company, provides data to brand advertisers, agencies, and TV networks.
Seeing an opportunity in social TV, Twitter tied with Nielsen in December in an exclusive, multi-year agreement to create the "Nielsen Twitter TV Rating," an industry-standard metric that is based on Twitter data. Nielsen and NM Incite, a joint venture between Nielsen and McKinsey & Co., bought a social TV measurement firm called SocialGuide in November, which provided the audience engagement analytics platform for the new metric.
"We plan to collaborate closely with Nielsen and SocialGuide on product development and research to help brands, agencies, and networks fully understand the combined value of Twitter and TV," Rowghani said. Twitter intends to honor existing Bluefin customer contracts, but will not continue to sell Bluefin's product suite beyond the existing contracts.
While Bluefin products have included data from multiple social media services, Twitter is the platform where about 95 percent of public real-time engagement with TV happens, Bluefin executives Michael Fleischman,A Deb Roy andA J.P. Maheu wrote in a blog post. "So we couldn't be more excited to join Twitter."
Twitter did not disclose the financial details of the deal. The Bluefin core team at current headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts will remain there.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!