iOS 6 untethered jailbreak released, Cydia app store flooded
The latest jailbreak works for the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad mini models on iOS 6.0 through 6.1
IDG News Service - Apple modders can rejoice: The latest jailbreak software for iOS 6 was released on Monday.
The jailbreak is the result of months of work by a four-man computer security research team called the "Evad3rs." They probed Apple's latest OS to find a string of vulnerabilities that would allow an untethered jailbreak, or one that can be installed without the device being connected to a computer.
The jailbreak is available through the website evasi0n.com, which has links to file-storage services hosting the jailbreak such as Box.net, Kim Dotcom's Mega and RapidShare.
One of the researchers, David Wang, who is known as @planetbeing on Twitter, wrote on Monday that the jailbreak has a file size of about 10MB. On Box.net alone, about 4.2TB of jailbreak files had already been downloaded, he wrote.
Those also contributing to the jailbreak are Cyril, who is known as @pod2g on Twitter, Nikias Bassen (@pimskeks) and Eric McDonald (@musclenerd).
McDonald tweeted: "I really hope @planetbeing and @pimskeks get some food and sleep soon. You know, to make up for ALL of last week."
Apple significantly bolstered the security of iOS 6, which made it difficult to find enough vulnerabilities to enable a jailbreak. The Evad3rs team decided to hold back releasing a jailbreak until after Apple released iOS 6.1 on Jan. 28.
That's because Apple could have patched some of the vulnerabilities if they had released the jailbreak beforehand, closing the gap of time in which the software would be effective.
Jailbreaking is legal in the U.S. due to an exemption under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which forbids circumventing protections in place to prevent modification of devices. Apple strongly discourages jailbreaking and can void warranties for devices that have been modified.
With a jailbroken Apple device, users can install applications not vetted by the company as well as make other modifications. One of the most popular unauthorized application stores for Apple devices is Cydia.
Late Monday, Cydia's website appeared not to be working, the apparent result of a wave of traffic following the release of the jailbreak.
"If you have problems with Cydia sources, it's ok, it's just that they are under heavy load at the moment," @pod2g wrote. "Try again later."
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Heartbleed flaw affects mobile apps, too
- Microsoft gets strategic with its Enterprise Mobility Suite
- Apple slates WWDC for June 2-6, sets up ticket lottery
- Nadella to Cook on Office revenue sharing: Drop dead
- Update: Microsoft unveils Office for iPad
- iOS tops Android for Web browsing in U.S. and other developed nations
- Apple ships iOS 7.1 with CarPlay support, home screen crash fix
- Apple to fix iOS 7 crash bug
- Apple rang up $10B in app sales in 2013
- Balky browsers tick off tablet owners
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Why You Need a Next-Generation Firewall This white paper explores the reasons for implementing next-generation (NG) firewalls and lays out a path to success for overburdened IT organizations.
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers |