iOS 6 untethered jailbreak released, Cydia app store flooded
The latest jailbreak works for the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and iPad mini models on iOS 6.0 through 6.1
IDG News Service - Apple modders can rejoice: The latest jailbreak software for iOS 6 was released on Monday.
The jailbreak is the result of months of work by a four-man computer security research team called the "Evad3rs." They probed Apple's latest OS to find a string of vulnerabilities that would allow an untethered jailbreak, or one that can be installed without the device being connected to a computer.
The jailbreak is available through the website evasi0n.com, which has links to file-storage services hosting the jailbreak such as Box.net, Kim Dotcom's Mega and RapidShare.
One of the researchers, David Wang, who is known as @planetbeing on Twitter, wrote on Monday that the jailbreak has a file size of about 10MB. On Box.net alone, about 4.2TB of jailbreak files had already been downloaded, he wrote.
Those also contributing to the jailbreak are Cyril, who is known as @pod2g on Twitter, Nikias Bassen (@pimskeks) and Eric McDonald (@musclenerd).
McDonald tweeted: "I really hope @planetbeing and @pimskeks get some food and sleep soon. You know, to make up for ALL of last week."
Apple significantly bolstered the security of iOS 6, which made it difficult to find enough vulnerabilities to enable a jailbreak. The Evad3rs team decided to hold back releasing a jailbreak until after Apple released iOS 6.1 on Jan. 28.
That's because Apple could have patched some of the vulnerabilities if they had released the jailbreak beforehand, closing the gap of time in which the software would be effective.
Jailbreaking is legal in the U.S. due to an exemption under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which forbids circumventing protections in place to prevent modification of devices. Apple strongly discourages jailbreaking and can void warranties for devices that have been modified.
With a jailbroken Apple device, users can install applications not vetted by the company as well as make other modifications. One of the most popular unauthorized application stores for Apple devices is Cydia.
Late Monday, Cydia's website appeared not to be working, the apparent result of a wave of traffic following the release of the jailbreak.
"If you have problems with Cydia sources, it's ok, it's just that they are under heavy load at the moment," @pod2g wrote. "Try again later."
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Apple to fix iOS 7 crash bug
- Apple rang up $10B in app sales in 2013
- Balky browsers tick off tablet owners
- iPhone, iPad dwarf mobile rivals in small- and mid-sized firms
- iOS 7 now powers 3 out of 4 Apple devices
- How to fix iOS 7 glitches
- After a week, iOS 7 runs more than half of Apple's mobile devices
- First look: The new iPhone 5S impresses
- iOS 7 off to speedy adoption start
- Amazon redesigns Kindle app for iOS 7, adds Collections
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Threat Landscape Hardly a day goes by without the discovery of a new cyberthreat somewhere in the world! But how do you keep up with...
- Security for Virtualization In the rush to implement virtualization, security has become second. So while the business benefits are clear, the risks are less well documented...
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Malware and Vulnerabilities White Papers | Webcasts