Google, Mozilla hail new WebRTC standard that links Chrome and Firefox
Web applications involving audio and video communications will work across the two browsers without needing plug-ins
IDG News Service - Developers now can create audio and video communications applications that work across the Chrome and Firefox browsers without the need for plug-ins.
This is possible via the use of WebRTC standard technologies for high-quality audio and high-definition video communications in Web-based applications, according to Google and Mozilla.
"Because the functionality is now baked into the browser, users can avoid problems with first-time installs and buggy plugins, and developers can deploy their apps much more easily and universally," wrote Maire Reavy, Firefox Media product lead, and Serge Lachapelle, Chrome product manager, in a blog post on Monday.
Chrome and Firefox can now communicate by using standard technologies such as the Opus and VP8 codecs for audio and video, DTLS-SRTP for encryption and ICE for networking, they wrote in a separate blog post.
This WebRTC PeerConnection interoperability is an early implementation so it contains bugs and isn't yet supported in every network environment, according to the companies. Developers can try it out on Chrome 25 beta and on the Firefox Nightly for Desktop test versions.
The companies have also posted a YouTube video that demonstrates the functionality.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts