Google, Mozilla hail new WebRTC standard that links Chrome and Firefox
Web applications involving audio and video communications will work across the two browsers without needing plug-ins
IDG News Service - Developers now can create audio and video communications applications that work across the Chrome and Firefox browsers without the need for plug-ins.
This is possible via the use of WebRTC standard technologies for high-quality audio and high-definition video communications in Web-based applications, according to Google and Mozilla.
"Because the functionality is now baked into the browser, users can avoid problems with first-time installs and buggy plugins, and developers can deploy their apps much more easily and universally," wrote Maire Reavy, Firefox Media product lead, and Serge Lachapelle, Chrome product manager, in a blog post on Monday.
Chrome and Firefox can now communicate by using standard technologies such as the Opus and VP8 codecs for audio and video, DTLS-SRTP for encryption and ICE for networking, they wrote in a separate blog post.
This WebRTC PeerConnection interoperability is an early implementation so it contains bugs and isn't yet supported in every network environment, according to the companies. Developers can try it out on Chrome 25 beta and on the Firefox Nightly for Desktop test versions.
The companies have also posted a YouTube video that demonstrates the functionality.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!