Are transparent displays dumb or brilliant?
Most users won't be willing to sacrifice image quality and battery life for the novelty of transparent displays.
Why transparent displays have a bright future
Transparent display technology is coming, just not to phones and tablets.
Rather than transforming computer screens by making them transparent, this technology will instead transform transparent things into computer screens.
For example, it will be applied to windows. No, not Microsoft Windows. I'm talking about the glass windows we have in our offices, cars and homes.
Samsung actually sells a transparent display device. Called the Samsung NL22B, the $2,805.99 device is an aquarium-like box with regular glass on the sides, a transparent display on the front, a lockable door on the back and a PC built into the base. It's designed for display marketing, whereby a store places its product (or whatever) into the box, then uses Samsung's MagicInfo software to display moving words and pictures on the transparent screen.
Other companies, including Crystal Display Systems, have shown similar products recently.
Even more interesting is the touch-based Smart Window that Samsung demonstrated at the International CES trade show last month. In the demo, the display is placed in front of a mini cityscape, suggesting that it could be installed as a window in your office. It basically just throws up a Windows-like desktop on the window.
It's easy to imagine incorporating this technology into a home, as the makers of the Iron Man movies did.
Transparent display technology will be used in eyewear, such as glasses, goggles and scuba masks, enabling reality to be augmented. It is one of those exciting areas of innovation where science fiction is about to become very real, very soon.
Just don't expect transparent screens in your phones or tablets. Because while that idea yields beautiful design fiction pictures and videos, it makes for a lousy mobile device.
- Cosmonauts deploy nanosatellites during spacewalk
- Scientists create self-assembling, working robots
- When astronauts breathe on Mars, they'll thank MIT professor
- Big tech firms back Wi-FAR for remote broadband
- NASA's Mars rover Curiosity closes in on ultimate destination
- Qi wireless charging spec gets more flexibility with distance extension
- NASA upgrades humanoid robot in space
- NASA: Finding life on other planets is within our grasp
- Money talks, and that's all quantum maker D-Wave has to say
- 45 years after moon landing, NASA looks to next giant leap
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!