Oracle loses appeal of ruling in HP suit
The Itanium trial's second phase on damages is set for April
IDG News Service - A court has rejected Oracle's appeal of a judge's ruling in the lawsuit Hewlett-Packard brought over Oracle's decision to stop porting its software to HP's Itanium server platform.
In August, a California superior court judge ruled that Oracle had a binding contract with HP and ordered it to continue supporting Itanium. Oracle filed its appeal of that ruling in October with California's 6th District Court of Appeal, which rejected it on Thursday, according to court records.
Further details of the reasons for the appeals court's decision weren't immediately available Friday.
Oracle and HP both declined to comment on the ruling.
The vendors are long-time partners with many shared customers. But their relationship soured following Oracle's entry into the hardware market with the purchase of Sun Microsystems, as well as HP's move to oust CEO Mark Hurd, who is a close friend of Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. Hurd now serves as a president of Oracle.
It is standing practice for tech vendors with competing products to find ways to partner, as reflected by the industry term "co-opetition." But some observers see the Oracle-HP flap as something that could influence the way such pacts are drawn up in the future, with companies exercising much more caution.
The case is scheduled to have a second phase that will focus on damages owed to HP. That phase is scheduled to begin in April, according to an HP spokesman.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts