Apple biggest phone maker in the U.S. for the first time
Apple bests Samsung by selling 17.7 million iPhones in Q4, as U.S. market share increases to 34%
IDG News Service - Apple managed to outsell Samsung Electronics by almost one million units to become the number one mobile phone vendor in the U.S. for the first time ever during the fourth quarter, according to Strategy Analytics.
Apple has seen its stock price tumble recently as the U.S. stock market doubts the company's ability to grow, but U.S. buyers still covet its iPhones more than any other brand.
The company shipped 17.7 million iPhones for a record 34% share of the market. That compares to the 12.8 million units Apple shipped during the fourth quarter of 2011, for 25% market share, according to Strategy Analytics' estimates. The key to Apple's success is its ecosystem of iPhones and App Store, combined with generous subsidies from carriers and extensive marketing of the iPhone 5, the market analyst said.
Samsung had been the number-one mobile phone vendor in the U.S. since 2008, and shipped 16.8 million units during the fourth quarter. The company will now have to set its sights on recapturing the U.S. number one spot in 2013 by launching new and improved smartphones such as the rumored Galaxy S4.
The company was still the biggest seller of phones in the U.S. during 2012, shipping 53 million phones to Apple's 43.7 million, Strategy Analytics said.
LG Electronics came in third during the fourth quarter, but the company saw its shipments drop to 4.7 million phones, down from 6.9 million a year earlier, for a 9% market share, according to Strategy Analytics' estimates.
In general, the holiday shopping season was a return to form for the U.S. phone market. After having contracted 16% during the first three quarters of 2012 due to economic uncertainty and tighter carrier upgrade policies, phone sales grew by 4% year on year to 52 million, Strategy Analytics said.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Why Projects Fail CIOs are expected to deliver more projects that transform business, and do so on time, on budget and with limited resources.
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All iOS White Papers | Webcasts