Sony PlayStation event set for February amid PS4 rumors
Sony's game division says the event is to discuss the "future of the PlayStation business"
IDG News Service - Sony will hold a PlayStation event in the U.S. later this month amid widespread speculation it is gearing up to launch the PS4.
The company's game division, Sony Computer Entertainment, posted a cryptic video along with the date Feb. 20. The video shows close-ups of the four symbols that appear on PlayStation controllers.
The web page is titled "meeting2013" and a press event is scheduled to be held in New York on the day. Sony executives, including CEO Kazuo Hirai and SCE CEO Andrew House, have refused to comment on potential launch dates for the next generation console in recent months, noting that the PS3 is selling well and is profitable after years of selling at a loss.
"This will be an event to talk about the future of the PlayStation business," said SCE spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka in Tokyo.
He declined to comment further, saying only that Sony occasionally holds such gatherings. The last one was in 2011 in Tokyo to discuss the handheld Vita console.
The first three PlayStation consoles were launched six years apart - in 1994, 2000 and 2006 - making the timing seem right for a new version. Sony is rumored to be working on the new console under the name "Orbis."
"Sony is inviting investors and media to the Feb 20 event; that means console announcement," said Michael Pachter, research analyst at Wedbush Securities in a Twitter message.
Sony's main competitor, Microsoft, is also thought to be gearing up for a successor to its Xbox 360 to be released this year. While those companies pursue hard-core gamers that want advanced graphics and high-end specs, Nintendo goes after a more casual market with lower-end hardware.
Nintendo has struggled with its next-generation console, the Wii U, released late last year. This week the company slashed its sales targets and said it would revamp its strategy around the device.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts