Google submits settlement proposal in EU antitrust case, report says
Reports are still unconfirmed that the firm has settled with the European Commission
IDG News Service - Google has declined to confirm a report that it narrowly met its deadline for submitting a response to the European Commission over its antitrust concerns about the company.
The search firm had been in negotiations with European regulators as the deadline approached late Thursday in Europe to file its proposal for how to settle the dispute.
Google declined to discuss the timing or substance of any proposal it may have submitted. "We continue to work cooperatively with the European Commission," a spokesperson said.
But Google did submit its proposal after negotiations in Brussels went to the wire, just barely hitting a midnight deadline, according to the news site All Things D.
The proposal is similar to what Google has already agreed to in a case with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, which involved sharing more information through its advertising APIs (application programming interfaces) and agreeing not to scrape Web content from rivals, according to the report, which cites unnamed sources.
There are some differences, however. The European agreement won't address patents and it will probably require better labeling in search, the report says.
The Commission case dates back to November 2011, when rivals accused Google of fixing its search algorithm to direct users to its own services and decrease the visibility of competing websites and services.
Fourteen companies issued complaints against Google, including U.K.-based Foundem; Microsoft-owned German price-comparison site Ciao; Dutch football website Elfvoetbal; French companies Dealdujour.pro and Twenga; British online mapping company Streetmap; and online travel sites Expedia and TripAdvisor.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!