Oracle database 12c close to general release, sources say
The long-anticipated release incorporates 'pluggable' databases
IDG News Service - The general availability of Oracle's long-awaited, next-generation 12c database will likely occur within weeks or possibly even days, the IDG News Service has learned.
Oracle had previously said the general release would come sometime this calendar year, with no further specifics, leaving the possibility open for a much later launch.
Multiple sources familiar with the situation said it was very likely that the general release could come within a couple of weeks, although one noted that internally at Oracle, release dates can have some movement. It's expected that 12c will offer support for Solaris and Linux deployments first.
An Oracle spokeswoman declined comment on Thursday.
Database 12c, which was highlighted extensively at Oracle's OpenWorld conference last year, comes more than three years after the launch of version 11g Release 2.
A concept Oracle calls "pluggable databases" is a major focus of 12c. This allows multiple databases to run within a single database container.
The impending arrival of 12c comes shortly after SAP announced its competing HANA in-memory database platform can now run its flagship ERP (enterprise resource planning) software. Many SAP ERP installations use Oracle under the covers, and SAP is hoping to lure those customers away, gaining the lucrative database license revenue Oracle now enjoys. It's possible that Oracle will impose a license price increase upon the release of 12c as well. Currently, a processor license for the enterprise edition costs US$47,500. It was raised to that amount in 2008.
However, it's also not clear how or if the pluggable database architecture could affect licensing costs or the licensing model itself.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Five Steps to Achieve Success in your Application Security Program This white paper provides a general framework your organization can use to create or build upon an application security program. It includes guidelines...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- Manufacturing Outlook: Improving time to market, operational effectiveness and innovation in a highly competitive environment An enterprise project portfolio management solution can help manufacturers position themselves in the new competitive landscape.
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts