Oracle database 12c close to general release, sources say
The long-anticipated release incorporates 'pluggable' databases
IDG News Service - The general availability of Oracle's long-awaited, next-generation 12c database will likely occur within weeks or possibly even days, the IDG News Service has learned.
Oracle had previously said the general release would come sometime this calendar year, with no further specifics, leaving the possibility open for a much later launch.
Multiple sources familiar with the situation said it was very likely that the general release could come within a couple of weeks, although one noted that internally at Oracle, release dates can have some movement. It's expected that 12c will offer support for Solaris and Linux deployments first.
An Oracle spokeswoman declined comment on Thursday.
Database 12c, which was highlighted extensively at Oracle's OpenWorld conference last year, comes more than three years after the launch of version 11g Release 2.
A concept Oracle calls "pluggable databases" is a major focus of 12c. This allows multiple databases to run within a single database container.
The impending arrival of 12c comes shortly after SAP announced its competing HANA in-memory database platform can now run its flagship ERP (enterprise resource planning) software. Many SAP ERP installations use Oracle under the covers, and SAP is hoping to lure those customers away, gaining the lucrative database license revenue Oracle now enjoys. It's possible that Oracle will impose a license price increase upon the release of 12c as well. Currently, a processor license for the enterprise edition costs US$47,500. It was raised to that amount in 2008.
However, it's also not clear how or if the pluggable database architecture could affect licensing costs or the licensing model itself.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts