Oracle database 12c close to general release, sources say
The long-anticipated release incorporates 'pluggable' databases
IDG News Service - The general availability of Oracle's long-awaited, next-generation 12c database will likely occur within weeks or possibly even days, the IDG News Service has learned.
Oracle had previously said the general release would come sometime this calendar year, with no further specifics, leaving the possibility open for a much later launch.
Multiple sources familiar with the situation said it was very likely that the general release could come within a couple of weeks, although one noted that internally at Oracle, release dates can have some movement. It's expected that 12c will offer support for Solaris and Linux deployments first.
An Oracle spokeswoman declined comment on Thursday.
Database 12c, which was highlighted extensively at Oracle's OpenWorld conference last year, comes more than three years after the launch of version 11g Release 2.
A concept Oracle calls "pluggable databases" is a major focus of 12c. This allows multiple databases to run within a single database container.
The impending arrival of 12c comes shortly after SAP announced its competing HANA in-memory database platform can now run its flagship ERP (enterprise resource planning) software. Many SAP ERP installations use Oracle under the covers, and SAP is hoping to lure those customers away, gaining the lucrative database license revenue Oracle now enjoys. It's possible that Oracle will impose a license price increase upon the release of 12c as well. Currently, a processor license for the enterprise edition costs US$47,500. It was raised to that amount in 2008.
However, it's also not clear how or if the pluggable database architecture could affect licensing costs or the licensing model itself.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Mobile Expense Management--Picking up the Money on the Ground Integrating and managing mobility expenses across multiple carriers can generate savings and improve organizational decision making.
- Partners in Mobile Device Management: AirWatch & CDW When it comes to Mobile Device Management, it's not just what you know. It's who you know. That's why CDW partners with industry...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts