Amazon's homepage blinks
Online retailer's homepage was offline for 49 minutes; AWS unaffected
Computerworld - The homepage of Amazon.com was down this afternoon for less than an hour, the online retailer said.
The homepage was inaccessible around 3 p.m. ET, and possibly before but appeared to be back in operation well within that hour.
"The gateway page of Amazon.com was offline to some customers for approximately 49 minutes. Other pages of the site were accessible and AWS was not impacted," Amazon spokesman Ty Rogers said in an email to Computerworld.
Direct links to product pages seemed to be working during the outage.
The only thing visitors saw on the homepage during the incident was this message: "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"
Amazon's large hosting business, Amazon Web Services, reported normal operations throughout.
The problem in accessing the site was widely noticed in social media.
Based on its quarterly earnings, Network World estimated that an hour-long outage could cost the company as much as $5 million.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- It's Not Them, It's You: How Customer Experience Impacts Your Identity and Access Management Practices Customers want more online access, but they also want to do less to get there: more mobility with less hassle. More security, but...
- 5 Reasons It's Time For Secure Single Sign-On While cloud-based applications provide many business benefits including lowering capital expenditures, they can also drive up operational expenses by requiring more administration and...
- Identity is the Center of Omnichannel This paper covers the benefits of adding an identity layer to bridge the gaps of simplified access, multiple entry points and authentication -...
- How to Extend Identity Security to Your APIs This paper discusses what these standards and specifications are, how they can be composed with existing standards like SAML, and details about how...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts