Amazon's homepage blinks
Online retailer's homepage was offline for 49 minutes; AWS unaffected
Computerworld - The homepage of Amazon.com was down this afternoon for less than an hour, the online retailer said.
The homepage was inaccessible around 3 p.m. ET, and possibly before but appeared to be back in operation well within that hour.
"The gateway page of Amazon.com was offline to some customers for approximately 49 minutes. Other pages of the site were accessible and AWS was not impacted," Amazon spokesman Ty Rogers said in an email to Computerworld.
Direct links to product pages seemed to be working during the outage.
The only thing visitors saw on the homepage during the incident was this message: "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable"
Amazon's large hosting business, Amazon Web Services, reported normal operations throughout.
The problem in accessing the site was widely noticed in social media.
Based on its quarterly earnings, Network World estimated that an hour-long outage could cost the company as much as $5 million.
Patrick Thibodeau covers cloud computing and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about E-business in Computerworld's E-business Topic Center.
- 6TB Oracle Ecommerce Stack Deployed on AWS in 7 Days A Fortune 1000 company was told that it would take more than 6 months to deploy their ecommerce stack on AWS. CloudVelocity deployed...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All E-business White Papers | Webcasts