Update: Twitter site restored after crash
Microblogging site was down for some users for nearly three hours
Computerworld - Twitter said its site is back up and running after an outage worldwide knocked out access for some users for nearly three hours today.
Starting at 10 a.m. Eastern time, Twitter suffered intermittent downtime and slow page loads that affected Web and mobile users around the globe, according to a report on Twitter's status page.
The microblogging site had the problem fixed by 12:50 p.m.
"We apologize to users who were affected by this, and we're working to ensure that similar issues do not occur," Twitter wrote in its status report.
Earlier today, Twitter noted that "some" users were affected by the outage but did not specify how many.
The site has already had two other partial outages this month. According to Twitter's Status page, some users were unable to access the site on Jan. 21. And on Jan. 16, some users had trouble with both Twitter.com and the Twitter mobile app.
Users who were frustrated with Twitter's downtime or just wanted to make light of the crash quickly took to the site once it was back up.
"When Twitter goes down, does anyone else think 'Ha! I'll just tweet something funny about how annoying this is,' and then realise and cry?" tweeted a user identified as TomChivers.
And someone using the handle OhNoSheTwitnt joked, "What'd everyone do to avoid talking to people while Twitter was down[?] I ate an orange and posted a picture of it on Instagram."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter, at @sgaudin, and on Google+, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
See more by Sharon Gaudin on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!