Update: Twitter site restored after crash
Microblogging site was down for some users for nearly three hours
Computerworld - Twitter said its site is back up and running after an outage worldwide knocked out access for some users for nearly three hours today.
Starting at 10 a.m. Eastern time, Twitter suffered intermittent downtime and slow page loads that affected Web and mobile users around the globe, according to a report on Twitter's status page.
The microblogging site had the problem fixed by 12:50 p.m.
"We apologize to users who were affected by this, and we're working to ensure that similar issues do not occur," Twitter wrote in its status report.
Earlier today, Twitter noted that "some" users were affected by the outage but did not specify how many.
The site has already had two other partial outages this month. According to Twitter's Status page, some users were unable to access the site on Jan. 21. And on Jan. 16, some users had trouble with both Twitter.com and the Twitter mobile app.
Users who were frustrated with Twitter's downtime or just wanted to make light of the crash quickly took to the site once it was back up.
"When Twitter goes down, does anyone else think 'Ha! I'll just tweet something funny about how annoying this is,' and then realise and cry?" tweeted a user identified as TomChivers.
And someone using the handle OhNoSheTwitnt joked, "What'd everyone do to avoid talking to people while Twitter was down[?] I ate an orange and posted a picture of it on Instagram."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter, at @sgaudin, and on Google+, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
See more by Sharon Gaudin on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- Forrester Wave for Enterprise Backup and Recovery Read this report to see how CommVault continues to outpace its competitors and why Forrester positioned CommVault Simpana as the top backup and...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
On-Demand Webcast: 7 Reasons to Choose VoIP
Thinking about a new phone system for your business?
Be sure to watch this informative webcast. Steve Strauss, small business columnist for USA...
All Social Media White Papers |