Update: Twitter site restored after crash
Microblogging site was down for some users for nearly three hours
Computerworld - Twitter said its site is back up and running after an outage worldwide knocked out access for some users for nearly three hours today.
Starting at 10 a.m. Eastern time, Twitter suffered intermittent downtime and slow page loads that affected Web and mobile users around the globe, according to a report on Twitter's status page.
The microblogging site had the problem fixed by 12:50 p.m.
"We apologize to users who were affected by this, and we're working to ensure that similar issues do not occur," Twitter wrote in its status report.
Earlier today, Twitter noted that "some" users were affected by the outage but did not specify how many.
The site has already had two other partial outages this month. According to Twitter's Status page, some users were unable to access the site on Jan. 21. And on Jan. 16, some users had trouble with both Twitter.com and the Twitter mobile app.
Users who were frustrated with Twitter's downtime or just wanted to make light of the crash quickly took to the site once it was back up.
"When Twitter goes down, does anyone else think 'Ha! I'll just tweet something funny about how annoying this is,' and then realise and cry?" tweeted a user identified as TomChivers.
And someone using the handle OhNoSheTwitnt joked, "What'd everyone do to avoid talking to people while Twitter was down[?] I ate an orange and posted a picture of it on Instagram."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter, at @sgaudin, and on Google+, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
See more by Sharon Gaudin on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts