ZTE set to launch Firefox OS smartphone
Device will be unveiled at Mobile World Congress; joins Firefox OS phones on the way from Mozilla, TelefA3nica and Geeksphone
IDG News Service - Chinese phone maker ZTE is planning to launch a smartphone based on Mozilla's Firefox OS at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona next month.
That ZTE is planning to launch a phone based on the upcoming OS doesn't come as surprise; last year it announced plans to start selling smartphones based on the platform by early 2013.
However, product details will have to wait until February 25.
Firefox OS is one of a number of new smartphone operating systems that will start competing with Android and Apple's iOS in the next 12 months. Besides Mozilla's platform there is also RIM's BlackBerry 10, which is launching Wednesday. Add to that Canonical's Ubuntu for phones, Sailfish from upstart Jolla, and Tizen, which is backed by Samsung Electronics and Intel.
The idea with Firefox OS is for all user-accessible software running on the phone to be Web apps. In Firefox OS, HTML5 apps can make the phone vibrate, make a phone call or send a text message, Mozilla said in a recent blog post.
More phones based on the Firefox OS are on the way from Mozilla, operator TelefA3nica and Geeksphone. The Keon and Peak are aimed at developers, and will start shipping in February.
The fact that Firefox OS is backed by the likes of TelefA3nica and ZTE gives it a chance, according to Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics.
At the Mobile World Congress, ZTE will also launch the Grand Memo, an Android-based device that is expected to have a 5.7-inch screen.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- MWC: Dropbox CEO criticises Apple cloud lock-in
- Apple, Samsung and Google under fire at Mobile World Congress
- Five smartphone and tablet trends from Mobile World Congress
- TD-LTE goes mainstream with a new performance promise
- ARM's battery-saving technology debuts in tablet, smartphone prototypes
- Second wave of Windows 8 client promotions coming soon
- Firefox OS adds to pressure on Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 OS
- Industrial sapphire might be your next smartphone display
- ARM still drives design for smartphones -- 1 billion in 2013
- German engineers deconstruct smartphones to find new uses
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!