Samsung denied new trial; Apple won't get more damages in patent suit
Federal court in California rules that Samsung didn't willfully infringe on Apple's phone patent
IDG News Service - A court in California denied Samsung's request for a retrial in a patent infringement dispute with Apple, and also declined to raise the damages earlier awarded to Apple by a jury.
The court on Tuesday also granted judgment as matter of law that Samsung's patent infringement was not willful.
A jury decided in August that the South Korean company must pay Apple $1.05 billion for infringing several of its design and utility patents in Samsung smartphones and tablets.
Samsung asked for a new trial of the case, alleging that the foreman of the jury, Velvin Hogan, was untruthful and biased in the voir dire, a court procedure of questioning prospective jurors for potential bias.
The statements attributed to the juror by Samsung neither show that Hogan favored Apple nor show that he was being deceitful in voir dire, Judge Lucy H. Koh of U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose division, wrote in an order in December.
In a set of four orders on Tuesday, Koh said the jury had ample opportunity to compensate Apple for Samsung's use of its product designs. The jury awarded $382 million in damages for six products found to have diluted Apple's trade dress patents, but Apple filed for an additional $400 million. Apple had not clearly shown that it was not adequately compensated for the losses it suffered due to Samsung's dilution of its trade dress in its products, Judge Koh wrote.
The Judge also denied Samsung's motion for judgement as a matter of law that none of Samsung's accused phones infringed Apple's design patents, and also denied Samsung's motion in the alternative for a new trial. A new trial is appropriate only if the jury verdict is contrary to the clear weight of the evidence, she said.
The court also ruled against Samsung's claim that some Apple patents in the suit were invalid for indefiniteness, while granting an Apple plea that claims of a Samsung patent were invalid.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Three Best Practices to Help Government Agencies Overcome BYOD Challenges This paper highlightschallenges facing government IT in a BYOD environment and discusses strategies for network preparation, ongoing support, and securing information to enable...
- 3 Steps to Content Sharing and Collaboration ft. Forrester Research Consumer sync and share tools help people access and send personal files, but smart IT leaders know that businesses require more than just...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more