Foursquare launches new mobile app for business owners
The free iPhone and Android app is designed to make it eaiser for merchants to connect with customers
IDG News Service - Foursquare has launched a new mobile app aimed at making it easier for the 1 million business owners using the service to connect and share news with customers.
The Foursquare for Business app is designed to give merchants a suite of tools to keep in touch with the 30 million people who use Foursquare right from their phone, the location-based social network said.
"When you're running around on the floor, it's hard to hop on a computer and post your latest happenings, like the spring collection that just arrived or your newest menu item," the company said today in a blog post announcing its launch.
With the new app, businesses can easily cross-post Foursquare updates to their Facebook and Twitter networks at the same time, and can also use the app to see recent check-ins, turn specials on and off and look at business data such as likes and top customers, the company said.
Several screen shots of how the app could be used were posted by Foursquare to its blog. One image, for instance, showed a post from The Gap announcing the in-store availability of a new style of pants, inviting customers to check in.
Foursquare's tools for merchants can be used by a variety of businesses whether it be a mom-and-pop shop or a national chain, the company claims.
But even if the new app's functionality seems relatively basic for Foursquare, which launched in 2009, it is still a powerful tool, said Daina Middleton, author of "Marketing in the Participation Age" and global CEO of Performics, a Chicago-based performance marketing agency.
What is most interesting about the app, she said, is its ability to enable better participation from customers. "For years, Foursquare has been collecting participant information -- recent check-ins, top customers and customer activity -- while business owners haven't had much opportunity to leverage and activate this data," she said.
"Even if it seems simple on its face, enabling business owners -- on their mobile devices -- to peek into participant activity in real-time can make a big difference," she added.
Foursquare for Business is available for free for iPhones and the Android operating system.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts