Actian to acquire Pervasive Software in big data deal
Actian, formerly Ingres, had first made a bid for Pervasive in August
IDG News Service - Actian, formerly Ingres, is to acquire Pervasive Software, a vendor of cloud-based and on-premises software for data management and analysis. The deal is targeted at the growing big data market.
Under the terms of a definitive agreement announced Monday, Actian is acquiring all of Pervasive's outstanding shares for $9.20 per share, in a deal that values Pervasive at $161.9 million, the companies said.
Actian in August offered $8.50 per share in cash for Pervasive, which it increased in November to $9 per share in cash. After the unsolicited bid, Pervasive's board of directors said it asked its independent financial adviser to solicit potential bids from interested parties including Actian, regarding their interest in acquiring the company.
Products from Actian include Action Apps, which are described as lightweight, consumer-style applications that automate business actions triggered by real-time changes in data. It also offers the open-source Ingres database software and its Vectorwise analytical engine. It claims over 10,000 customers worldwide use its software to manage big data.
The Redwood City, Calif., company completed in December the acquisition of Versant, a data management company specialized in building NoSQL data management systems.
Pervasive, in Austin, Texas, offers a number of products including DataRush, an application framework and analytics engine for high speed parallel data processing. It decided on a deal with Actian "after a deliberative process and thorough assessment of our strategic alternatives," its president and CEO, John Farr said in a statement.
The acquisition will give customers access to a larger portfolio of products, and provides joint partners greater opportunity to "offer new solutions in adjacent markets," Actian said.
The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of this year and is subject to customary closing conditions.
Pervasive is scheduled to announce its fiscal year 2013 second-quarter results after the close of market on Tuesday. The company reported in October that net income more than doubled as revenue from both product licenses and services grew in its fiscal first-quarter ended Sept. 30.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts