Actian to acquire Pervasive Software in big data deal
Actian, formerly Ingres, had first made a bid for Pervasive in August
IDG News Service - Actian, formerly Ingres, is to acquire Pervasive Software, a vendor of cloud-based and on-premises software for data management and analysis. The deal is targeted at the growing big data market.
Under the terms of a definitive agreement announced Monday, Actian is acquiring all of Pervasive's outstanding shares for $9.20 per share, in a deal that values Pervasive at $161.9 million, the companies said.
Actian in August offered $8.50 per share in cash for Pervasive, which it increased in November to $9 per share in cash. After the unsolicited bid, Pervasive's board of directors said it asked its independent financial adviser to solicit potential bids from interested parties including Actian, regarding their interest in acquiring the company.
Products from Actian include Action Apps, which are described as lightweight, consumer-style applications that automate business actions triggered by real-time changes in data. It also offers the open-source Ingres database software and its Vectorwise analytical engine. It claims over 10,000 customers worldwide use its software to manage big data.
The Redwood City, Calif., company completed in December the acquisition of Versant, a data management company specialized in building NoSQL data management systems.
Pervasive, in Austin, Texas, offers a number of products including DataRush, an application framework and analytics engine for high speed parallel data processing. It decided on a deal with Actian "after a deliberative process and thorough assessment of our strategic alternatives," its president and CEO, John Farr said in a statement.
The acquisition will give customers access to a larger portfolio of products, and provides joint partners greater opportunity to "offer new solutions in adjacent markets," Actian said.
The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of this year and is subject to customary closing conditions.
Pervasive is scheduled to announce its fiscal year 2013 second-quarter results after the close of market on Tuesday. The company reported in October that net income more than doubled as revenue from both product licenses and services grew in its fiscal first-quarter ended Sept. 30.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts