Motorola Solutions unveils MC45 mobile computer
At several times the cost of consumer smartphones, the device is ruggedized for field service duties
Computerworld - Motorola Solutions believes workplaces will find value in rugged handheld mobile computers that cost several times more than consumer-focused smartphones, but last much longer.
In that vein, the company Tuesday unveiled the MC45 mobile computer, a small but rugged handset targeted at field workers.
The device is priced from $1,345.
Sheldon Safir, director of global solutions marketing at Motorola Solutions, called the cost "aggressive pricing for full functionality" in a rugged device that can be used by small and medium-sized businesses for, among other things, sales and order tracking applications and for package pick-up and delivery activities.
"We believe that the construction of this device and the total cost of ownership over the life of the product bear out the initial investment," Safir said.
"It's built to withstand [five-foot] drops [that] some consumer devices are not built for. It has a three-year lifecycle, while consumer devices are made to last a year. This can give businesses a sense of security," he added.
The price of Apple's iPhone, a range of Android devices and other smartphones can start at $200 when subsidized by a carrier -- just a fraction of the initial cost of an MC45.
Motorola Solutions provides a range of rugged and semi-rugged handheld models for use in warehouses and other areas. Some can function over cellular radio networks as well over wireless LANs inside buildings.
A higher-end MC65 handheld sells for $2,295.
The MC45 comes with a 26 key numeric keypad, not a full alphabetical keyboard as seen on some other models.
The device has a 3.2-in. touchscreen, compared to the 4-in. touchscreen in the iPhone 5, and runs a 600 MHz ARM-based processor, and the Windows Embedded 6.5.3 professional edition operating system.
The MC45 measures 5.6-in. by 2.6-in. by 1.0 in. and it weighs 8.73 ounces.
Internal flash storage is 1 GB, but a 32 GB-capable microSD slot is included.
The touchscreen can capture signatures for package deliveries and there is a 3.2 megapixel camera for data capture which supports one and two dimension barcode capture. A one-dimensional laser scanner is also included.
Motorola Solutions also sells a variety of peripherals for businesses, including a 4-slot battery charger.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- The Keys to Securing Data in a Collaborative Workplace Losing data is costly. IT professionals have spent years learning how to protect their organizations from hackers, but how do you ward off...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!