USITC to investigate Samsung patent complaint against Ericsson
Samsung's patent infringement charge is part of a larger patent fight between the two companies
IDG News Service - The U.S. International Trade Commission has voted to investigate whether Ericsson has infringed Samsung Electronics patents related to wireless communication equipment, the agency said Friday.
Samsung filed the so-called section 337 complaint against Ericsson in December. Samsung is seeking a USITC order blocking Ericsson from importing some products into the U.S.
A Samsung representative declined to comment on its complaint.
An Ericsson representative said the company is aware that Samsung is seeking to bar its products from being imported into the U.S. "We filed multiple patent infringement lawsuits against Samsung in November after Samsung refused to license our patents on the same fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory terms that its competitors have accepted," the representative said by email. "We anticipate that the ITC will resolve the claims in our favor."
Ericsson has its own patent infringement complaint against Samsung pending at the USITC.
Ericsson filed two patent infringement lawsuits against Samsung in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas in November. In those lawsuits, Ericsson asked the court to block sales of a variety of Samsung Electronics cameras, Blu-ray Disc players, televisions and phones, including the Galaxy S III and the Galaxy Note II.
Ericsson said it had negotiated for over two years with Samsung to reach a licensing deal on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms for the patents, which it claimed are essential to implementation of a number of industry standards.
The USITC will investigate Samsung's complaint and hold an evidentiary hearing in the case.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts