Former Anonymous members jailed in U.K. for PayPal, Visa DDoS attacks
Attack were part of Anonymous' Operation Payback campaign that targeted groups fighting online piracy
IDG News Service - Three men were sentenced Thursday in the U.K. for their roles in a series of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks launched against financial and music industry organizations in 2010 by the Anonymous hacktivist collective.
Christopher Weatherhead, 22, of Northampton and Ashley Rhodes, 28, of Camberwell, London, received prison sentences of 18 and 7 months respectively for conspiracy to impair the operation of computers, a representative of the Southwark Crown Court Clerk's Office in London said Friday.Another co-conspirator, Peter Gibson, 24, of Hartlepool, received a six-month prison sentence suspended for two years and 100 hours of community service, the court's representative said.
The conspiracy charges brought against the three men were in connection with DDoS attacks launched in 2010 against PayPal, MasterCard, Visa, the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), the Ministry of Sound record label and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry.
The attacks were were part of an Anonymous DDoS campaign called Operation Payback.Operation Payback originally targeted organizations involved in combating online piracy.
However, in December 2010, the operation shifted its focus toward several financial companies that decided to stop providing services to Wikileaks, which restricted the site's ability to receive new donations and access its existing funds.
Weatherhead, who used the online moniker "Nerdo," was arrested in January 2011 and was charged in September that same year. He pleaded not guilty, but was convicted on one count of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers on Dec. 6, 2012.
Peter Gibson and Ashley Rhodes had pleaded guilty to one count each of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers on March 6, 2012 and July 11, 2012, respectively.
A fourth co-conspirator, Jake Birchall, 18, from Chester, pleaded guilty to the same charges on Jan. 26, 2012, but will be sentenced at a later date.Reached for comment on Friday, the U.K.'s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) referred to a statement issued by Russell Tyner, Crown Advocate for the CPS Organised Crime Division, in December, after Weatherhead was convicted.
Tyner said at the time that attacks launched by Weatherhead and the other conspirators cost the targeted companies over $5.6 million in additional staffing, software and loss of sales.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts