Most CIOs Planning to Boost IT Investments for 2013
A majority (albeit by the slightest of margins) of IT leaders say they plan to increase their IT budgets in the coming year, according to a recent survey of 188 top IT executives.
CIO - Fifty-one percent of IT leaders plan to increase their IT budgets in the coming year, according to a recent survey of 188 top IT executives conducted recently by CIO magazine.
This figure is up slightly from 47 percent reported in April, 2012 and fairly consistent with levels reported prior to August 2011 when economic events such as the downgrading of the U.S. bond rating and European economic instability caused some IT leaders to pull in spending.
Large company CIOs are more likely than their small and medium size counterparts to anticipate IT spending increases (57 percent, versus 45 percent).
The percentage of IT leaders planning to cut spending inched up slightly; 23 percent will decrease their IT budget, up slightly from 20 percent in April and 18 percent two years ago.
Nearly two-thirds anticipate their IT capital spending will remain the same (35 percent) or decrease (28 percent) and just one quarter plan to boost discretionary IT spending. IT leaders expect the percentage of the IT budget allocated to new projects will decrease to 47 percent, from 55 percent in April and 57 percent two years ago.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts