Cisco to sell Linksys home networking business to Belkin
Belkin will keep the Linksys brand and partner with Cisco for software and service-provider products
IDG News Service - Cisco Systems plans to sell its Linksys home networking business to Belkin International for an undisclosed sum under an agreement that includes cooperation between the companies on software, service-provider products and other areas.
Belkin will keep the Linksys brand alive and honor warranties for customers who bought Linksys products, it said in a press release Thursday.
Cisco acquired Linksys in 2003 and has used it to deliver several generations of Wi-Fi routers and other consumer networking equipment into homes. But Cisco is now pulling back from its consumer business as it focuses on becoming one of the top enterprise IT vendors.
Belkin makes consumer and small-business networking gear as well as accessories and peripherals and is based in Playa Vista, in Southern California. That's not far from Irvine, where Linksys is based. Belkin plans to bring in the Linksys workforce as part of the deal, which is expected to close in March.
The combined company is set to be a powerful force in home networking. After the acquisition closes, Belkin will have about 30 percent of the U.S. market for home and small business networking, it said.
"Belkin's ultimate goal is to be the global leader in the connected home and wireless networking space and this acquisition is an important step to realizing that vision," CEO Chet Pipkin said in a statement.
Linksys gear will not be totally cut off from its Cisco origins. The companies plan to build a relationship in retail distribution, marketing, and products for service providers.
"Having access to Cisco's specialized software solutions across all of Belkin's product lines will bring a more seamless user experience for customers," Belkin said.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Personal Technology White Papers | Webcasts