Groups raise questions about privacy on Skype
Advocacy groups call on Skype and owner Microsoft to detail access by third parties such as governments
IDG News Service - Skype owner Microsoft should release information about how much user data it gives to third parties, including government agencies, several organizations and individuals said in a letter to company officials.
The groups, including the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Reporters Without Borders and GreatFire.org, called on Microsoft and Skype to also release information about whether third parties can intercept Skype calls and to explain their position on complying with U.S. wiretap laws. Forty-five groups and more than 60 people signed the letter to Microsoft officials.
With about 600 million users, Skype is effectively one of the largest telecommunications providers worldwide, the letter noted.
"Many of its users rely on Skype for secure communications --- whether they are activists operating in countries governed by authoritarian regimes, journalists communicating with sensitive sources, or users who wish to talk privately in confidence with business associates, family, or friends," the letter said.
Skype is reviewing the letter, a spokesman said.
Skype users "work in the face of persistently unclear and confusing statements about the confidentiality of Skype conversations," including access by government agencies, the letter said.
The letter called on Microsoft and Skype to disclose what user information they collect and to disclose Skype's relationship with Chinese mobile provider TOM Online and other third-party licensees of Skype technology.
Other online companies, including Google and Twitter, release regular reports detailing request for user data by third parties, the letter noted.
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Best Practices for Securing Hadoop Historically, Apache Hadoop has provided limited security capabilities. To protect sensitive data being stored and analyzed in Hadoop, security architects should use a...
- Top Tips for Securing Big Data Environments: Why Big Data Doesn't Have to Mean Big Security Challenges Organizations must come to terms with the security challenges they introduce. As big data environments ingest more data, organizations will face significant risks...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!