Network World - Appearing to further distance itself from VCE coalition partners EMC and VMware, Cisco this week expanded collaboration with storage titan NetApp to deepen integration and market reach.
Cisco and NetApp, a storage rival of EMC's, are stretching their alliance around the FlexPod architecture -- - which combines Cisco data center switches and servers, NetApp FAS storage systems, and partner applications and devices -- to the branch office and public cloud. Their alliance already serves the data center and private cloud markets. The expanded partnership includes efforts in technology integration, system development and market collaboration around FlexPod architectures available in a variety of configurations and packages that support an array of vendors' virtualization hypervisors.
The VCE coalition Cisco formed almost four years ago with EMC and VMware supports VMware virtualization and orchestration in a pre-configured vBlock footprint aimed predominantly at data centers and private clouds, says Jim McHugh, vice president of marketing for Cisco. VCE is believed to be splintering as the three founding companies - Cisco, EMC and VMware - become increasingly competitive and overlapping in an effort to become a single source of IT and cloud infrastructure.
[WITH PARTNERS LIKE YOU, WHO NEEDS... Cisco relationship stressed with Nicira buy: EMC]
McHugh, however, dismissed any notion that the expanded NetApp partnership diminishes the emphasis or activity on VCE.
"Absolutely not," he says, when asked if the broadened NetApp collaboration signaled an end to VCE. "It's complementary to that."
McHugh says Cisco values all partnerships and that VCE is a "very particular, very specific" use case: data centers and private clouds. The NetApp engagement includes branch offices and public clouds, he says, and involves a multi-site data center and multi-hypervisor strategy.
The extended activity will include deeper integration across computing, networking, storage and orchestration components of FlexPod, combined with broader support for FlexPod partners.
The deepened integration includes the ability of FlexPod configurations to manage up to 10,000 servers, allow organizations to aggregate several FlexPod racks, and enable multi-hop Fibre Channel over Ethernet. This is intended to enable service provider and distributed enterprise infrastructures to scale.
The FlexPod architecture will also now support Cisco UCS Manager 2.1, UCS Central and Cisco's recently acquired Cloupia data center orchestration and automation products. FlexPod will also support Cisco's Intelligent Automation for Cloud management system. FlexPod can also now be orchestrated by partner applications such as Microsoft System Center and Citrix CloudStack, the companies said.
Cisco and NetApp will also integrate Flash technologies at the host and storage levels to accelerate performance. At the server, applications running on Flash-optimized Cisco UCS can be further accelerated with NetApp Flash Accel, while at the controller and array levels, technologies such as NetApp Flash Cache and Flash Pools can be used to access cached data faster, the companies say.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts