Google adds offline presentation, editing to Slides software
The company continues to bring its Internet apps to the desktop
IDG News Service - Google has added offline presentations and editing to its Slides application, as it continues to bring its Internet apps to the desktop.
The company announced in a Google Drive blog post that its presentation software now allows users to create and modify slide shows, or present them, without an active Internet connection. Changes are uploaded the next time users connect to the Internet.
The functionality requires the use of Google's Chrome browser or Chrome operating system. It must be turned on online through a user's Google Drive account.
The blog post said that Google is now working on an offline version of its spreadsheet program, Sheets.
The expansion to Slides comes about six months after Google added similar functionality to its Docs word processing software. Its Gmail and calendar applications can also be accessed offline.
While Google is increasingly competing with Microsoft in office applications, the search giant has made clear that its offline offerings are for temporary situations, like flights or stints on the go without a wireless connection.
Microsoft offers an online version of its Office application suite for individual users, Office Web Apps, but it is less comprehensive than Google's version. Microsoft's offering for business users, Office 365, is billed more as an extension of its desktop-based Office software.
In December, Google ended the free version of its Google Apps for business users, after gradually scaling down the size of businesses that could use the service for free. It also launched a free iPad app to allow its paying customers to edit Microsoft Office documents.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!