Google adds offline presentation, editing to Slides software
The company continues to bring its Internet apps to the desktop
IDG News Service - Google has added offline presentations and editing to its Slides application, as it continues to bring its Internet apps to the desktop.
The company announced in a Google Drive blog post that its presentation software now allows users to create and modify slide shows, or present them, without an active Internet connection. Changes are uploaded the next time users connect to the Internet.
The functionality requires the use of Google's Chrome browser or Chrome operating system. It must be turned on online through a user's Google Drive account.
The blog post said that Google is now working on an offline version of its spreadsheet program, Sheets.
The expansion to Slides comes about six months after Google added similar functionality to its Docs word processing software. Its Gmail and calendar applications can also be accessed offline.
While Google is increasingly competing with Microsoft in office applications, the search giant has made clear that its offline offerings are for temporary situations, like flights or stints on the go without a wireless connection.
Microsoft offers an online version of its Office application suite for individual users, Office Web Apps, but it is less comprehensive than Google's version. Microsoft's offering for business users, Office 365, is billed more as an extension of its desktop-based Office software.
In December, Google ended the free version of its Google Apps for business users, after gradually scaling down the size of businesses that could use the service for free. It also launched a free iPad app to allow its paying customers to edit Microsoft Office documents.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- ESG Lab Report: Virident FlashMAX Connect Performance Advantage with vCache on a single Oracle instance View Now>>
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts