Apple TV emerges from the shadows
Apple TV set-top box sales hit 2 million, but CEO Tim Cook dodged questions about whether a TV set was being developed
IDG News Service - Apple TV was until now considered a "hobby," by Apple's own admission, but the product has taken on more importance for CEO Tim Cook.
Shipments for the Apple TV video-streaming box totaled 2 million units during the first quarter of 2013, growing by more than 60 percent year over year.
"We sold more last quarter than we did ever before," Cook said during a conference call on Wednesday to discuss quarterly earnings.
The Apple TV set-top box streams movies and music from the cloud and from other devices such as the iPhone and iPad. There have been rumors surrounding Apple's development of a TV set. The speculation gained steam after a mention in Walter Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs that Jobs had discussed making an easy-to-use TV set that could sync with other devices and Apple's iCloud service.
During the earnings call, a financial analyst asked Cook about the importance of Apple TV to the company, and whether a TV set was under development.
Cook did not say whether a TV set or an update to the set-top box was under development. But he said what was once a product for a niche audience now has a "much larger number that love it."
The TV area is of a lot of interest to Apple, Cook said.
"I tend to believe that there is a lot we can contribute to this space," Cook said. "I don't want to be more specific."
Cook has expressed dismay with the current TV watching experience. In an interview with NBC News last year, he said that when he turns on the TV, he feels like he has "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years."
- Apple preps final non-security Mavericks update
- New Yosemite dev preview may herald public beta update later this week
- iPhone 5C's China bust raises questions about Apple's pricing for '14 models
- Mac sales so far in '14 may signal share push
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Circle the date: Apple's iPhone 6 event slated for Sept. 9
- Stable Mac prices fuel reliable profit engine
- Apple unveils minor bumps to MacBook Pro laptops
- Feds arrest Florida man who allegedly conned Apple out of $309K
- Yosemite's traffic share triples after public beta debuts
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts