Cisco to buy SON software vendor Intucell for $475M
Intucell's self-optimizing network software can decrease the number of dropped calls and lessen congestion, it said
IDG News Service - Cisco Systems is planning to acquire Intucell in a bid to make its products more attractive to mobile operators as traffic volume on networks continues to grow.
Cisco said Wednesday it will pay approximately $475 million in cash and retention-based incentives to acquire the entire business and operations of Intucell.
Headquartered in Ra'anana, Israel, Intucell provides advanced self-optimizing network (SON) software, which enables mobile carriers to plan, configure, manage, optimize and repair cellular networks automatically, Cisco said in a statement.
Intucell's software can detect coverage, overload and other issues in real time and automatically adjust the network to respond, according to the company's website. For example, when too many users are connected to one base station, the system automatically adjusts coverage by getting assistance from nearby towers, the company said.
For users, that means fewer dropped calls, better network coverage and less congestion, according to Intucell. For operators, it is another tool as they face a growing volume of data, according to Cisco.
In addition to Intucell's technological prowess, Cisco also highlighted the fact that the company's software works with hardware from multiple vendors.
When the acquisition closes, Intucell employees will join Cisco's Service Provider Mobility Group.
The acquisition is expected to close in the third quarter of Cisco's fiscal year 2013, and is subject to the usual closing conditions, including applicable regulatory approvals.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts