Phone makers switch focus to mAh, not millimeters
LG and Huawei are putting 3,000mAh batteries in the their latest smartphones
IDG News Service - With the latest generation of high-end smartphones sporting power-hungry 5-inch screens, a growing number of phone vendors are emphasizing bigger batteries rather than thinner devices.
After HTC's introduction of a 5-inch, full-HD screen on its Droid DNA phone, also know as Butterfly, Sony and Huawei Technologies showed similar products at International CES in Las Vegas and, on Tuesday, LG Electronics expanded its Optimus range with the G Pro.
LG's new smartphone was introduced as part of NTT DoCoMo's spring line-up, and will go on sale in early April in Japan. In addition to a 5-inch screen with a resolution of 1920 pixels by 1080, the Optimus G Pro has a Snapdragon S4 Pro 1.7 GHz quad-core processor and a 13-megapixel camera.
That spec is similar to HTC's Droid DNA, but instead of the DNA's 2,020 milliamp-hour battery, LG has equipped the Optimus G Pro with a 3,000mAh one, the same capacity as Huawei's Ascend D2.
This burgeoning trend is good news for users that prioritize battery life over phone size.
"The decision to put a 3,000mAh battery in the Optimus G Pro was based on our belief that this device deserved a battery that could keep the large 5-inch screen running strong all day. It also sends a clear message to consumers, many of whom say short battery life is their biggest gripe," LG's Ken Hong said via email.
The effect of the bigger battery on the LG phone's size is barely visible: it is approximately 0.4 millimeters thicker than the HTC Droid DNA.
Not all vendors are jumping on the bigger battery band wagon: Sony's Xperia Z, also unveiled at International CES, has a 2,330mAh battery.
However, increasing battery life isn't just about the capacity of the battery. The Xperia Z comes with a new feature called Battery Stamina mode. It improves standby time by automatically shutting down battery-draining apps whenever the screen is off and starting them up again when the screen is back on. The more applications a user has installed, the bigger the effect of the feature, according to Sony. Huawei lowers battery consumption by automatically turning off the transmitter circuit when data transmission is not in use to keep the Ascend D2 going for longer, it said.
The chip vendors are also working to decrease the power consumption of their processors. Nvidia recently launched the Tegra 4, which is based on ARM's Cortex-A15 design. It uses 45% less power than the Tegra 3 in common situations, thanks to a second-generation battery saver core and more advanced power management, according to Nvidia.
When it comes to power effiency, the Tegra 4 will compete with processors based on ARM's big.LITTLE processing architecture, which in its first iteration combines the Cortex-A15 with the frugal Cortex-A7 on one die.
Samsung Electronics will use four of each in the Exynos 5 Octa processor, which will power high-end smartphones and tablets. The company hasn't said when the products will arrive, but if it were to combine the Exynos with a big battery in a new smartphone it may have a new winner on its hands.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts