Yahoo acquires content sharing startup Snip.it
Snip.it lets users post and share a variety of online content
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired content discovery and sharing website Snip.it, and the service has been shut down.
Snip.it in San Francisco is offering users up to Feb. 21 the option to download and export their content, called snips.
"As of today, we will no longer support snipping," the Snip.it team said in a post on the company's website on Tuesday. The startup used to allow users to "collect the best of the web, wrapped in your opinions."
The acquisition seems to be part of a broader trend for Internet companies to acquire startups more for their talented staff than for the business or technology.
Yahoo could not be immediately reached for comment. It said in a Twitter message that it was "thrilled to welcome" the Snip.it team to the company.
"We are thrilled at the opportunity to bring Snip.it's vision to a larger scale at Yahoo!," said the Snip.it team. "While we can't share the specifics of what we'll be building, we are excited about the opportunity to take social news to new, exciting heights at Yahoo!."
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Yahoo acquired in December video chat startup OnTheAir, but the deal was made for the talent, and the product was shut down. In October, it also acquired a recommendations app called Stamped. Its iPhone app, which helped people keep track off and recommend things like restaurants and books, was also to be discontinued. The Stamped acquisition was Yahoo's first after Marissa Mayer took charge as CEO of the company.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!