Yahoo acquires content sharing startup Snip.it
Snip.it lets users post and share a variety of online content
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired content discovery and sharing website Snip.it, and the service has been shut down.
Snip.it in San Francisco is offering users up to Feb. 21 the option to download and export their content, called snips.
"As of today, we will no longer support snipping," the Snip.it team said in a post on the company's website on Tuesday. The startup used to allow users to "collect the best of the web, wrapped in your opinions."
The acquisition seems to be part of a broader trend for Internet companies to acquire startups more for their talented staff than for the business or technology.
Yahoo could not be immediately reached for comment. It said in a Twitter message that it was "thrilled to welcome" the Snip.it team to the company.
"We are thrilled at the opportunity to bring Snip.it's vision to a larger scale at Yahoo!," said the Snip.it team. "While we can't share the specifics of what we'll be building, we are excited about the opportunity to take social news to new, exciting heights at Yahoo!."
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Yahoo acquired in December video chat startup OnTheAir, but the deal was made for the talent, and the product was shut down. In October, it also acquired a recommendations app called Stamped. Its iPhone app, which helped people keep track off and recommend things like restaurants and books, was also to be discontinued. The Stamped acquisition was Yahoo's first after Marissa Mayer took charge as CEO of the company.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!