Yahoo acquires content sharing startup Snip.it
Snip.it lets users post and share a variety of online content
IDG News Service - Yahoo has acquired content discovery and sharing website Snip.it, and the service has been shut down.
Snip.it in San Francisco is offering users up to Feb. 21 the option to download and export their content, called snips.
"As of today, we will no longer support snipping," the Snip.it team said in a post on the company's website on Tuesday. The startup used to allow users to "collect the best of the web, wrapped in your opinions."
The acquisition seems to be part of a broader trend for Internet companies to acquire startups more for their talented staff than for the business or technology.
Yahoo could not be immediately reached for comment. It said in a Twitter message that it was "thrilled to welcome" the Snip.it team to the company.
"We are thrilled at the opportunity to bring Snip.it's vision to a larger scale at Yahoo!," said the Snip.it team. "While we can't share the specifics of what we'll be building, we are excited about the opportunity to take social news to new, exciting heights at Yahoo!."
The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Yahoo acquired in December video chat startup OnTheAir, but the deal was made for the talent, and the product was shut down. In October, it also acquired a recommendations app called Stamped. Its iPhone app, which helped people keep track off and recommend things like restaurants and books, was also to be discontinued. The Stamped acquisition was Yahoo's first after Marissa Mayer took charge as CEO of the company.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Four Myths of High-Productivity App Dev Debunked Debunk the main myths surrounding high-productivity application development and how both platforms have overcome them. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts