Carrier KDDI mulls adding Firefox OS phones
The Japanese carrier, which currently sells Android and iOS smartphones, has backed HTML5 development
IDG News Service - KDDI, which runs one of Japan's largest mobile networks, is considering selling smartphones based on the new Firefox operating system from Mozilla.
Company president Takashi Tanaka has indicated that KDDI is examining various options related to the fledgling OS, including sales, according to spokesman Takeshi Ota.
KDDI has supported technologies such as HTML5. Earlier this week Tanaka made a surprise appearance at a study group for the technology. The operator currently offers mainly iPhones and smartphones that run Android, as well as an older Toshiba handset that runs an older version of the Windows Phone OS.
The use of open technologies should also make the software of the phones highly configurable, allowing operators to customize the look of their devices and offer their own app stores. While all three main Japanese carriers sell handsets branded with their own names, KDDI has launched a whole line of phones based on its own design, the "Infobar" series.
KDDI was slow to embrace the smartphone trend, and lost users to local rivals such as Softbank as a result. But the company has turned around its fortunes since it began offering Apple's iPhone in 2011.
On Tuesday, Mozilla introduced a Firefox OS preview phone for developers that will go on sale soon online. The official release of the OS isn't expected until later this year.
The first phones based on Firefox OS are expected to go on sale in Brazil when the OS is released, and operators in other regions, including TelefA3nica Digital, Deutsche Telekom, and U.S. operator Sprint have said they will support the program. Japanese carrier Softbank has agreed to acquire Sprint in a $20 billion deal.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts