GitHub unblocked in China after former Google head slams its censorship
Software collaboration site had been fully blocked in China starting on Monday
IDG News Service - Access to software collaboration site GitHub appeared to be restored in China on Wednesday, just as former Google executive Kai-Fu lee criticized its blocking as a senseless move that would harm the nation's developers.
GitHub, a U.S. site known as a repository for open source code, had been at least partially blocked in China as early as last Thursday, with access completely cut on Monday. But it was unclear why government censors had targeted the site, with speculation pointing to GitHub's links to Chinese online train ticket buying plugins, which authorities have been trying to regulate.
Starting on Wednesday, however, China's censors had unblocked the site, according to Internet monitoring group GreatFire.org. But access to the sites have been slow and sometimes infrequent, caused by local Domain Name System (DNS) servers caching the earlier blocked results, GreatFire.org said in an email.
GitHub, which had also noticing the initial blocking, could not be immediately reached for comment.
Other foreign sites such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube have long been blocked in China for their potential to spread anti-government views and information. At times, Google services and LinkedIn have also seen their access slowed or temporarily cut.
But the blocking of GitHub gained greater attention in the country after the former head of Google's China operations and celebrity Kai-Fu Lee posted about it on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter.
"GitHub is the preferred tool for programmers to learn and connect with the rest of the world," he said in his Chinese-language post. He added that the site supported no political ideology, nor contained any reactionary content. "Blocking GitHub is unjustifiable, and will only derail the nation's programmers from the world, while bringing about a loss in competitiveness and insight."
Lee's post was re-tweeted over 80,000 times on Sina Weibo, and featured in news articles on Wednesday. In another post, he later compared the blocking to trying to catch a mouse by burning the entire house down.
- Social Media Education: The New Edge for Success Failure to train for social media will cost your business money. A recent report showed how digitally prepared companies can unlock up to...
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!