Mozilla launches two Firefox OS-based phones for developers
Keon and Peak smartphones set to ship in February
IDG News Service - Mozilla has launched Keon and Peak, two smartphones based on the web-centric Firefox OS platform.
The first phones will start shipping in February, and have been developed in cooperation with Spanish operator TelefA3nica and Geeksphone, which is based in Madrid.
No pricing has been announced, but Firefox OS has been pitched as low-cost competitor to Android. It can deliver a far better experience than Android at handset price points of roughly $100, TelefA3nica said last year.
The specifications provided by Mozilla also hint at low price tags. The Keon is powered by a 1GHz processor, has a 3.5-inch touchscreen and a 3-megapixel camera. The Peak is more powerful with its dual-core 1.2GHz processor. It also has a 4.3-inch screen and an 8-megapixel camera on the back and a 2-megapixel camera on the front.
Both models have 4GB of integrated storage which can be expanded using a MicroSD card. They can connect to the Internet using HSPA or 802.11n, have GPS and a number of sensors.
Firefox OS is one of a number of new smartphone operating systems that are relying heavily on web technologies. Besides Mozilla's platform there is also RIM's BlackBerry 10, Canonical's Ubuntu for phones, Sailfish from upstart Jolla, and Tizen, which is backed by Samsung Electronics and Intel.
The idea with Firefox OS is for all user-accessible software running on the phone to be Web apps. In Firefox OS, HTML5 apps can make the phone vibrate, make a phone call or send a text message, Mozilla said in a blog post.
The goal with Keon and Peak is to show developers how easy it is to create an app based on HTML5 for the new OS. They can create an app for Firefox OS by making some small changes to an existing website, according to the blog post.
Developers are key to Mozilla's hopes for Firefox OS to boost the popularity of Web technologies. The fact that Firefox OS already has support from the likes of TelefA3nica and ZTE gives it a chance, according to Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts