IT's 2013 resolutions: Faster app delivery, but less cloud
Survey also shows greater business alignment a goal, but more so than usual
Infoworld - Top priorities in the application development and delivery space this year include faster delivery of software and better alignment with business, according to an annual survey taken by Serena Software.
The survey involving 86 participants also found a diminished priority for cloud application deployment, with cloud deployments perhaps having already taken hold. "The one [finding] that surprised me the most was this whole concept of aligning with business just shot up dramatically from the last two surveys that we did," said Miguel Kim, Serena's senior marketing manager. This was rated as an important priority by 48 percent of respondents, as opposed to 21 percent last year and 16 percent the year before. He theorizes this was because an improving economy has participants more concerned with business alignment and not as focused on purely cost savings.
Delivering applications faster has remained the top priority in all three years of the survey, although the percentage who rated this as important dropped from 68 percent last year to 59 percent this year.
Meanwhile, moving applications to the cloud was rated as important by just 14 percent this year as opposed to 23 percent last year and 26 percent the prior year. While surprised the number dropped so far, Kim presumes cloud migration already has happened for respondents, thus it was less-important.
This year's survey for the first time asked about mobile platforms; 36 percent said this was an important priority, placing it just sixth on the priority list. Thirty-eight percent cited reducing application development costs as important, down from 49 percent last year and 50 percent in the prior year. Expanded use of agile was rated important by 44 percent of respondents, down from 52 percent in the previous study. Increasing innovation also dropped, from 47 percent last year to 38 percent.
Serena conducted the survey in December featuring attendees at the Gartner Application Architecture, Development, and Integration Summit in Las Vegas. Participants included developers and software architects.
This article, "IT's 2013 resolutions: Faster app delivery, but less cloud," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts