Twitter sees disruptions during Obama inauguration
Users encountered problems with the service on Monday
IDG News Service - Twitter's service had problems on Monday for over six hours with some users complaining the service was slow, while others could not access it at all.
The service interruptions came after Twitter claimed that there were 1.1 million inauguration-related messages on its service during the inauguration ceremony of U.S. President Barack Obama.
Some users were experiencing issues accessing Twitter, the company said in a message. Twitter's engineers then worked to resolve the problem, it added.
A company spokeswoman did not comment on what caused the interruptions. "Unfortunately, we don't have anything to share beyond what is on the status blog," she said via email on Monday.
There was speculation that Twitter went down as a result of a large number of Twitter messages during Obama's inauguration and related events. During the ceremony, there were 1.1 million inauguration-related messages on its service, with 27,795 per minute at the peak, Twitter said.
A notice on the company's developer section indicated late Monday that the service was still having disruptions in a number of areas such as timeline, favorites and friends.
Later in the evening, Twitter was reporting that its help center was down. "We will send an update when the issues have been resolved," Twitter user support said in a message. Earlier, it reported that profile photo upload was unavailable. "Hold tight, we hope to have it back soon," it said.
Twitter also had interruptions in its service last week. It reported that it was experiencing intermittent problems with Twitter's rendering of pages. The issue was resolved, it said later in the day.
Twitter reported around midnight U.S. Eastern Time that the incident on Monday had been resolved, but did not provide information on what had caused the interruptions.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts