RIM renames store BlackBerry World, adds content
BlackBerry maker to let users download videos and music in addition to apps from its web store
IDG News Service - Research In Motion has renamed its web store BlackBerry World, as it gets ready to add more content ahead of the launch of the BlackBerry 10 operating system.
RIM recently announced that users will soon be able to download videos and music from the store in addition to applications, and the naming change reflects that shift as the company transitions to BlackBerry 10, according to a blog posted on Monday.
The store was previously called BlackBerry App World.
The change will happen on the web storefront first and will then be rolled out to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry smartphones in the coming weeks, according to RIM.
On Jan. 30, RIM will launch the first two smartphones based on BlackBerry 10, hoping to turn around its ailing fortunes.
Everyone is buzzing and the company is looking forward to showing the world how good BlackBerry 10 is, Rob Orr , RIM's managing director for UK and Ireland, said via email last week.
What users of the new operating system will be able to download from BlackBerry World will be a key part of its future success of failure, but RIM has been working hard to get developers onboard and there is an interest.
At two developer events organized by the company earlier this month, over 1,000 people submitted over 15,000 apps for BlackBerry 10 in less than 48 hours
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts