RIM renames store BlackBerry World, adds content
BlackBerry maker to let users download videos and music in addition to apps from its web store
IDG News Service - Research In Motion has renamed its web store BlackBerry World, as it gets ready to add more content ahead of the launch of the BlackBerry 10 operating system.
RIM recently announced that users will soon be able to download videos and music from the store in addition to applications, and the naming change reflects that shift as the company transitions to BlackBerry 10, according to a blog posted on Monday.
The store was previously called BlackBerry App World.
The change will happen on the web storefront first and will then be rolled out to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry smartphones in the coming weeks, according to RIM.
On Jan. 30, RIM will launch the first two smartphones based on BlackBerry 10, hoping to turn around its ailing fortunes.
Everyone is buzzing and the company is looking forward to showing the world how good BlackBerry 10 is, Rob Orr , RIM's managing director for UK and Ireland, said via email last week.
What users of the new operating system will be able to download from BlackBerry World will be a key part of its future success of failure, but RIM has been working hard to get developers onboard and there is an interest.
At two developer events organized by the company earlier this month, over 1,000 people submitted over 15,000 apps for BlackBerry 10 in less than 48 hours
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts