RIM renames store BlackBerry World, adds content
BlackBerry maker to let users download videos and music in addition to apps from its web store
IDG News Service - Research In Motion has renamed its web store BlackBerry World, as it gets ready to add more content ahead of the launch of the BlackBerry 10 operating system.
RIM recently announced that users will soon be able to download videos and music from the store in addition to applications, and the naming change reflects that shift as the company transitions to BlackBerry 10, according to a blog posted on Monday.
The store was previously called BlackBerry App World.
The change will happen on the web storefront first and will then be rolled out to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry smartphones in the coming weeks, according to RIM.
On Jan. 30, RIM will launch the first two smartphones based on BlackBerry 10, hoping to turn around its ailing fortunes.
Everyone is buzzing and the company is looking forward to showing the world how good BlackBerry 10 is, Rob Orr , RIM's managing director for UK and Ireland, said via email last week.
What users of the new operating system will be able to download from BlackBerry World will be a key part of its future success of failure, but RIM has been working hard to get developers onboard and there is an interest.
At two developer events organized by the company earlier this month, over 1,000 people submitted over 15,000 apps for BlackBerry 10 in less than 48 hours
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts