RIM renames store BlackBerry World, adds content
BlackBerry maker to let users download videos and music in addition to apps from its web store
IDG News Service - Research In Motion has renamed its web store BlackBerry World, as it gets ready to add more content ahead of the launch of the BlackBerry 10 operating system.
RIM recently announced that users will soon be able to download videos and music from the store in addition to applications, and the naming change reflects that shift as the company transitions to BlackBerry 10, according to a blog posted on Monday.
The store was previously called BlackBerry App World.
The change will happen on the web storefront first and will then be rolled out to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet and BlackBerry smartphones in the coming weeks, according to RIM.
On Jan. 30, RIM will launch the first two smartphones based on BlackBerry 10, hoping to turn around its ailing fortunes.
Everyone is buzzing and the company is looking forward to showing the world how good BlackBerry 10 is, Rob Orr , RIM's managing director for UK and Ireland, said via email last week.
What users of the new operating system will be able to download from BlackBerry World will be a key part of its future success of failure, but RIM has been working hard to get developers onboard and there is an interest.
At two developer events organized by the company earlier this month, over 1,000 people submitted over 15,000 apps for BlackBerry 10 in less than 48 hours
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Securing the enterprise workspace: protect your organization while supporting mobility and BYOD Read this white paper to learn ways to bolster security across enterprise networks while giving employees simple, authorized remote access to corporate applications...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments Read this white paper for tips on how to prepare critical applications to be securely accessed from an array of company-owned and personal...
- Future-proof your mobility strategy with Dell Enterprise Mobility Management Read this paper to discover best practices to future-proof your mobile strategy in the evolving world of devices, operating systems, work habits and...
- Enabling devices and device management for your mobility/BYOD program Read this white paper to learn how to support employees with the best devices to increase flexibility, productivity and job satisfaction.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts