iPhone hackers hint at progress towards iOS 6 jailbreak
Two new vulnerabilities were apparently found in a day, says one of the hackers
IDG News Service - Two iPhone hackers hinted they're making progress towards developing a new jailbreak for the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system.
One of the hackers, who goes by "@pod2g" on Twitter, wrote on Sunday that they found two "new vulnerabilities in a day," but what's missing is an "initial code execution" for a public jailbreak.
Pod2g is working with David Wang, known as "@planetbeing" on Twitter, to develop a way to remotely exploit iOS 6, known as a "jailbreak." Jailbreaking a device allows people to install applications that have not been approved by Apple, as well as other customizations.
While legal in the U.S due to an exception in the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Apple discourages its customers from jailbreaking their iOS devices and can void the warranties for tampered devices. Apple also tends to quickly fix vulnerabilities that allow a device to be jailbroken.
Pod2g and Wang are both well-known hackers who have developed jailbreaks before, but iOS 6 is proving to be more difficult to exploit due to stepped up security protections.
Wang wrote on Friday on Twitter: "Made some nice progress today with @pod2g. I think I'll try to reward myself with a nap."
Both are trying to develop an "untethered" jailbreak, which means iOS 6 devices can be jailbroken without being connected by a cable to a computer. A tethered jailbreak already exists for iOS 6, but it has to be repeated every time the device is rebooted.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com. Follow me on Twitter: @jeremy_kirk
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!