Windows 8 Pro upgrade price to rise to $199.99 after Jan. 31
That is up from special prices that range from $14.99 to $69.99
IDG News Service - The price for upgrading to Windows 8 Pro will shoot up after Jan. 31, when the existing special offers to acquire the new OS lapse.
Microsoft announced on Friday that a Windows 8 Pro upgrade will cost US$199.99, up from special prices as low as $14.99.
Microsoft is running two special offers for upgrading to Windows 8 Pro. One is for people upgrading an existing Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 PC and lets them acquire Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 via Windows.com download or $69.99 from a retail store DVD.
The other offer, priced at $14.99, is for consumers upgrading a new Windows 7 PC bought between June 2 of last year and Jan. 31.
Microsoft also said on Friday that people will be able to upgrade to the regular version of Windows 8 for $119.99. Microsoft didn't have a special offer for upgrading to this Windows version.
Areas in which Windows 8 Pro is more sophisticated than Windows 8 include security, networking, virtualization and remote desktop access.
Meanwhile, the price for users who already have Windows 8 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro will rise to $99.99 from $69.99.
Finally, adding Windows 8 Media Center Pack, which is currently free, will cost $9.99 after Jan. 31.
Windows 8, a crucial and radical upgrade, must succeed so that the venerable OS improves its anemic market share in tablet devices and makes Microsoft competitive against iOS and Android.
To that end, Windows 8 sports a new user interface based on tile icons that has been optimized for touch screen devices like tablets.
However, there is a loud controversy right now over how well or not Windows 8 has been selling since its release in October.
Microsoft insists that Windows 8 is doing fine, but several market research firms and financial analysts have expressed skepticism.
Juan Carlos Perez covers enterprise communication/collaboration suites, operating systems, browsers and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Juan on Twitter at @JuanCPerezIDG.
- Microsoft's Bing goes ad-free for all U.S. schools
- Apple kicks off public OS X beta testing
- Russian leaker resurfaces, claims Microsoft will issue second Windows update this year
- Windows' new normal shows software-as-a-service ambitions
- Microsoft extends Windows 8.1 Update migration deadline for business
- Microsoft puts the squeeze on Windows to shoehorn it into 16GB devices
- Google quashes 31 vulnerabilities, restores Metro mode 'steppers' with Chrome 34
- Microsoft drags customers 'kicking and screaming' into its world of faster updates
- Windows 8.1 Update deep-dive review: An OS that makes more sense
- Microsoft suspends Windows 8.1 Update release to businesses
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts